Why become a member? ×

**Withdrawn** FS: Rare Kopo Lina Fretless

chuck_stones

Hi all,

I bought this from JMT3781 earlier this year and despite having a great love for its design, sublime sound and very agreeable weight, I've just been landed with a hefty bill for a combi boiler. Sadly hot water wins over basses, so this is going up for sale :lol:

Priced to sell at a very reasonable £600 delivered for a bass that sold (according to the luthier Frederic Pons - I can forward the email from him confirming this) for 2300 Euro's back in 2002/2003. This is one of only 3 of this model ever made. It has since been upgraded from the original pickup config of just one bridge position Delano humbucker to include another Delano soapbar; both pickups are coil tapped which, despite being a passive bass, provide a lovely palette of sounds.

Currently string with La Bella Deep Talking tape wound flats which are wonderful to play on and produce a fantastic fretless tone. Balances beautifully on a strap, but not the best at staying on your lap :)

Spec:
Thru Neck construction (3 piece maple neck)
Beautiful flamed maple body
1 x Delano Soapbar (coil tapped)
1 x Delano MM (coil tapped)
Passive tone control (bass is passive)
Ebony finger board

The bass in Bramham (West Yorkshire), North East of Leeds but I'm happy to meet prospective buyers in Leeds, Harrogate or York.

The bass comes in the original Kopo deluxe gig bag.

If you want to know anything, please feel free to get in touch.

I hope JMT3781 doesn't mind, but I've re-used his images as they're better than any ones I can take and the condition is exactly the same:

Feel free to make any trade offers for 4 string fretted basses (something like a Yamaha TRB4 or Spector), obviously trading down with cash my way. Any questions, just get in touch :)

Cheers!

Edited by chuck_stones

• 4 weeks later...

Ahhh, this bass is LOVELY! I sold it to James a couple of years ago. I had the extra Delano Soapbar put in and the electronics made more versatile, Martin Petersen (he makes Sei Bass) at the Bass Gallery did that, he said it was a really nice bass with a great growlly tone. That's a big compliment coming from Martin.

It's lovely to play but I like Jazz width necks and this is a bit wider, so I sold it and got a Warwick. The Delanos are remarkable pickups, the harmonic detail is something else and perfect for a fretless bass.

If you want a fretless with tons of character, this is for you. And as Chuck says, it has a lovely tonal palette.

Chuck, be patient, it's a bass that has a particular market, it will sell eventually, and by god £600 is a f****** give away!

Best of luck mate!

[quote name='silddx' post='1194065' date='Apr 9 2011, 08:45 PM']Ahhh, this bass is LOVELY! I sold it to James a couple of years ago. I had the extra Delano Soapbar put in and the electronics made more versatile, Martin Petersen (he makes Sei Bass) at the Bass Gallery did that, he said it was a really nice bass with a great growlly tone. That's a big compliment coming from Martin.

It's lovely to play but I like Jazz width necks and this is a bit wider, so I sold it and got a Warwick. The Delanos are remarkable pickups, the harmonic detail is something else and perfect for a fretless bass.

If you want a fretless with tons of character, this is for you. And as Chuck says, it has a lovely tonal palette.

Chuck, be patient, it's a bass that has a particular market, it will sell eventually, and by god £600 is a f****** give away!

Best of luck mate![/quote]

Hey dude, thanks for the extra info and kudos for the bass. It sure is a real beauty and I'd rather not be trying to sell it, especially so cheap!; I figure It's not what it cost me, but what it would cost to replace, and for a bass this nice I'd be paying a small fortune. But desperate times call for desperate measures. You're right though, I think this bass is an acquired taste :) but the tone is just sublime! :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1194084' date='Apr 9 2011, 09:23 PM']Amazing bass for the money… and I can vouch for Delano SoapBars… I have them installed on my RIM Marseer and I love the dark growl they give!

Wish I had a suitable trade dude. Someone needs to buy this now![/quote]

Hey man, thanks for the kind words! I'm a big fan of Delano pups, but I'd only ever played with their MM, J and P pups before I got this bass, but the soapbar tone is awesome! So beefy, bassy and growly :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1194333' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:00 AM']Everytime you bump this I have to look again...! Don't suppose you fancy an EUB and have another similar priced bass to chuck in as well!? ... Thought not :)[/quote]

Worth a shot eh? :) I like the sound of an EUB but sadly, I need the cash.