Why become a member? ×

Does anyone know anything about Sigma basses?

G-funk45

I just happened across this bass and personally I think it at least looks stunning but cant find any information about them. Has anyone owned one of these before?
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1770&type=Bass%20Guitar"]Sigma[/url]

Sigma, in this instance, is just another brand name attached to a generic-but-good 70s MIJ Rick copy. The bass is the same as those branded Shaftesbury, Cimar etc and a few BC members own or have owned these. I don't own one myself (although one of my 3 Fakers might have started life as one - it was just a body/neck when I got it) but they are typically well-made & pretty much as authentic as they come.

In the event you're interested, Sigma was actually the budget brand of CF Martin, understandably it's a lot more common on acoustic guitars, but Martin did dabble in dodgy copies of other US manufacturers' stuff in the 70s. To the best of my knowledge Martin was the first American manufacturer to contract Japanese factories to build affordable licensed replicas of their instruments - they were importing acoustics made by Kasuga Gakki as far back as 1969. I'm afraid I don't know who made this bass - not Kasuga, but the factory remains as-yet unidentified.

Jon.

[quote name='G-funk45' post='1155621' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:33 PM']Thanks for the information. Still after some hands on experience if anyone has some.

Thanks again.[/quote]
I had one in 1982/3 it was as Jon says a decent(ish)copy much the same as a Shaftesbury,however I prefered the Ibanez even over my Rikki...............never had a Jolana though anyone got one..CHEAP