Why become a member? ×

DVD and online learning

Tony_bass

I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the worth of online or DVD based training for would be bass players ? Has anyone tried these ?

There seem to be a lot out there varying from dubious quality You Tube videos for free all the way up to things like Roy Vogts "Teach me Bass Guitar" - a 10 DVD set to mail order.

Seems to me they offer an improvement on trying to learn from self-teach books for those who cannot afford the time or money for personal lessons.

But I would love to hear from someone who has tried it.

Tony_Bass

Roy Vogt's DVD set looks really good-but I'd expect nothing less,he's a top teacher.

DVDs are great,but most of them are more about the entertainment value of seeing a favourite player than actually learning anything.I still buy loads of them though.
YouTube videos can vary so much that if you watch the wrong ones it could do more harm than good(Expert Village,anyone?)
Most DVDs are around £20-£30,so you should be able to get a decent lesson with someone for similar money,where you will learn more to suit you.It doesn't need to be regular if you are given enough to work on and will be more beneficial.