Why become a member? ×

New Overwater Bass

grayn

After a couple of months ownership of a beautiful Overwater Jazz 5-string bass, I had to trade it, due to the width of the 5-string's neck and the strain it put on my left hand. I put it down to having to keep one's thumb at the centre of the neck, rather like a classical guitar. with a 4-string the thumb can take up many more postions, which seems to suit my medium sized mitts.

I'd loved the build, finish, design and tone of that Overwater and since moving it on, have hankered for another. So today I went over to Promenade Music, in Morcambe, who have a number of Overwaters in. 3 of which were 4-stringers.

2 were jazz style basses. One in a natural (swamp ash) finish and the other in a tobacco sunburst finish. They also had a Perception model in. It is a lovely bass but I like a Jazz neck. Both the Jazz basses were excellent and in many ways, quite different. They had different electronics and i think the sunburst model had a tulip-wood body.

But for my tatses, the natural swamp ash model was the winner. Cool look, lovely to play and a tone to die for. You can't ask for more and at a very reasonable price.

I also had a very enjoyable 2 1/2 hours in Promenade, talking music and gear. Top day.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1150839' date='Mar 5 2011, 07:53 PM']A very nice bass!

I have just been reading the thread about not keeping your thumb in the position you mention.

It has made my transition to 5 strings easier.

Still, if I had a bass like that I would go back to thumb in the middle![/quote]

The thumb thing is interesting. That extra width of the 5-string neck, does make it harder to shift your thumb around. Not that i ever actually think of where my thumb is, whilst playing.

I think 5-stringers are great basses but after a couple of months playing one exclusively, when i went back to 4-string, it was like taking of heavy boots and putting on trainers.

My loss, I guess but at least I have an Overwater again. :)

It was good to meet you at Promenade, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences with 5-strings as well as your playing.

I hope that you find the way forward for you. I must agree that the natural swamp ash was beautiful.

(BTW I was the guy in the bicycle kit)

Thanks

[quote name='vsmith1' post='1152197' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:20 AM']It was good to meet you at Promenade, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences with 5-strings as well as your playing.

I hope that you find the way forward for you. I must agree that the natural swamp ash was beautiful.

(BTW I was the guy in the bicycle kit)

Thanks[/quote]

Cheers VSmith.

Like wise, it was a pleasure talking bass stuff with you.
I'm really looking forward to taking the newbie to band rehearsal, this week.
It'll be cool to hear it cranked up loud, through the Ampeg.

I hope you manage to try out a Tanglewater soon.

:)