Why become a member? ×

Charity Event

Steve_nottm

Hi guys,

I am the extremely proud father of wonderful 1 year old twins Isobel and Alexander. Unfortunately they both suffer from Cystic Fibrosis. You may not know but the average life expectancy of a Cystic Fibrosis sufferer is 38 years and as the 6th of August this year is my 38th birthday it really brings home the impact of them having a life shortening condition like this.

Rather than the usual sponsored run or collection I decided to do something that could generate a much greater level of publicity and donations, and also that I can contribute to in a personal way. I am no runner, but I am a bass player in a local band.

I am therefore looking for your help regarding a charity event I am organising for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust called “38 for 38”.

[b]On the week leading up to, and including the 6th August 2011 I am looking to arrange for me to participate in a massive 38 gigs. My participation would range from the small (playing one song with a band) to full gigs with my own band, with the aim that each participating gig collect donations.

As actively gigging musicians I would like to enlist your help. Would it be possible for you to either arrange a gig during that week, or allow a currently booked one to come under this event? That would mean allowing me to guest for one song, to publicise the event and the work of the CF trust, and to collect donations at the gig.[/b]

Playing a part in 38 gigs in 7 days is a major challenge and one that I cannot succeed in without the help of Nottingham’s band community.

Closer to the event I will be arranging publicity with the help of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust which hopefully will include coverage in local media (TV, news etc), online coverage, and even national exposure.

Please get back in touch with me if you feel you can help in any way, and also please pass this on to any other contacts who may be in a position to help. Many thanks

Hi Steve,
You like a challenge then?
A great idea, did you come up with it?
I'm very much Derbyshire-based (we're not able to get out of the sheep-pens very often), but it's only just down the road from you and I'd like to help if I can.
Currently my band (Daz Kelly Band) has only got an August gig booked and that's for the 11th. Too late for your current plans, but if you did need to change or extend your timeframe we could at the very least accommodate you as a 'guest' player/singer.
Here's a Facebook page I find useful for the Derby scene
[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Derby-Unsigned-Gig-Guide/109630035724544"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Derby...109630035724544[/url]
Several small to medium venues and various open-mic nights.

I'll put the feelers out.
Len

PS I'm the father of twins too. Although they are now 17 and blessed with good health they were pretty sickly as premature babies so I maybe have a little understanding of what's motivating you.

cheers mate, thanks for the link and appreciate you passing word out. getting some good responses locally but yes, this will be a challenge.

all my idea. It just hit me that i'll be 38 in Aug and that's the current life expectancy for my twins. A sobering thought and also a good opportunity to do something.

There is a jam session at The Greyhound in Beeston every Sunday afternoon from 3pm-7pm. You could just turn up and play 2 or 3 songs with the house band and get them to publicise the charity aspect. Tick it off as a gig and then move on to another later in the evening. Contact our own 'OutToPlayJazz' (Richard) and he can give you details.