Why become a member? ×

Ibanez BTB low volume output.

Hi all,
I have an I banez BTB450 guitar(4 string) that I want to use as a back up guitar to an Ibanez srx7000 that I currently use in my band......The problem is the volume output on the BTB is so low, you would never be able to hear it in the band mix.....we play loud usually covering heavy rock or metal......couple of questions.....If I were to only change the pre amp would this bring the sound level of the guitar up??......If I change the pickups would I need to change the Pre amp as well??....pickups in the guitar are Bartolini mk-1 and a standard 18v preamp(not sure of the model no.).......I like this guitar plays nice, sounds nice, its just too quiet.......

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Sean.

[quote name='cliffyspliff' post='1145617' date='Mar 1 2011, 12:26 PM']Hi all,
I have an I banez BTB450 guitar(4 string) that I want to use as a back up guitar to an Ibanez srx7000 that I currently use in my band......The problem is the volume output on the BTB is so low, you would never be able to hear it in the band mix.....we play loud usually covering heavy rock or metal......couple of questions.....If I were to only change the pre amp would this bring the sound level of the guitar up??......If I change the pickups would I need to change the Pre amp as well??....pickups in the guitar are Bartolini mk-1 and a standard 18v preamp(not sure of the model no.).......I like this guitar plays nice, sounds nice, its just too quiet.......

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Sean.[/quote]

Obvious stuff first, have you tried fresh battery/ies?

Never had this problem with mine but it had the MK2 pickups (BTB470). Another obvious one but have you got the pickups close enough to the strings? I found about 4mm on the E string about right on mine if I remember correctly.

As far as pickups go your in luck because the nordstrand soapbars fit the MK1 routings, as do the higher end bartolinis. if you had the MK2s you'd be stuck with them though as they are shorter and nothing else fits the routing. I was about to put an East preamp in mine before I sold it, mainly because I hear you can set the EQ centres, the output was if anything a little high on mine though (opposite problem).

Also worth checking there's no loose connections, I've had weak outputs on other basses when somethings loose or shorted that shouldn't be.

[quote name='garethfriend' post='1146071' date='Mar 1 2011, 05:12 PM']Never had this problem with mine but it had the MK2 pickups (BTB470). Another obvious one but have you got the pickups close enough to the strings? I found about 4mm on the E string about right on mine if I remember correctly.

As far as pickups go your in luck because the nordstrand soapbars fit the MK1 routings, as do the higher end bartolinis. if you had the MK2s you'd be stuck with them though as they are shorter and nothing else fits the routing. I was about to put an East preamp in mine before I sold it, mainly because I hear you can set the EQ centres, the output was if anything a little high on mine though (opposite problem).

Also worth checking there's no loose connections, I've had weak outputs on other basses when somethings loose or shorted that shouldn't be.[/quote]

Thanks Gareth very helpful....