Why become a member? ×

string/bridge alignment

lettsguitars

[quote name='mart' post='1141499' date='Feb 25 2011, 05:17 PM']The top bass in the picture could be ok, just the angle making it look wrong. But the bottom one definitely looks off. Oh well, :) we each have our own taste when it comes to set-ups. Maybe he/she never plays the E-string! :)[/quote]
he/she doesn't have much choice! though, it's not as bad as the other road. coz the tendency is to pull the E string down. it's the action that suffers most in this case.

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1142032' date='Feb 26 2011, 02:45 AM']all factory made instruments are a load of rubbish![/quote]

I'd have to disagree with this. I do agree that putting a bridge in the right place is a simple matter of checking everything before you commit to drilling the hole, but personally if it feels right and more importantly lines up over the pickups then I'm happy. I think its more important that the nut is cut correctly to avoid any unnecessary pull on the nut which I have seen on a lot of basses.

I had an 85 Tokai with the same issue, if you yanked the neck into place it was fine but the neck would always shift back so on that one I remounted the bridge. It was a great Fender style bass with the full Fender experience, threaded saddles that moved around, the whole bit :) Still a great bass. It does show why BadAss was such a popular swap and why you cut the saddle slots after mounting it.

I don't know if anybody will remember the Alden TV Cruiser I put up for sale a fair bit back when I first joined this site... there was a string alignment problem on that. Having imported it from Germany, and myself being somewhat shall we say... 'inexperienced' at the time, I thought that it was a construction problem. Knowing what I know now, it turns out that the problem is simpler than that. The design was a mishmash of Fender and Gibson ideas, being a telecaster style appearance but with the pickups of an EB-3. Big mudbucker at the neck and a mini humbucker near the bridge. Middle two strings were fine, but the outer strings missed the pole pieces by a fair few mm on each side, obviously being much worse at the bridge. Result = incredible difference in volume on outer strings.

Anyways, the problem is that the pickups have been produced to Gibson specs, which use a slightly reduced string spacing on their bridges as far as I can tell. The Alden, however, is fitted with a Fender-style high mass, meaning that the string spread is too wide for the pickups.

Anyways, nobody wanted it, I thought for a while about modding it in a few ways and keeping it but then eventually decided I want rid of it as I don't play it, it's always in my way and I'm building a new project anyway. I'm currently gathering the bits - it'll soon have a '51 P pickup in the neck position and if I can track one down hopefully, a blade magnet mini humbucker in the bridge. Then it'll probably be making another appearance in the 'For Sale' board! :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1142977' date='Feb 27 2011, 01:40 AM']If you're ever in the area I'll let you play my Peavey. Much better than most boutiques I've owned.[/quote]
yea, a sweeping statement from me. i have a thing about mass produced musical instruments. i don't see why people put up with crap that seems to be widely accepted as being normal and 'to be expected'. it's not hard to get these things right, so why should you accept anything less. unless of course, you don't know what you're looking at, which is the main reason for the thread, just to try and get more people to be aware of what's going on out there.