Why become a member? ×

Light gauge flatwounds

Martin E

I've always played roundwounds in a light gauge - 35 to 95. I struggle with anything heavier. I latched on to Stadium Elites many years ago and have never changed – their light gauge set runs 35,55,75,95 and I use them on both my fretless and fretted basses.

I would really like to try some flats but am struggling to find anything in the same gauge. The nearest I can see is D'Addario XL's which can be bought as single strings in some slightly odd gauges.

I really dont want anything heavier. I've tried many times to use thicker strings but I can't get on with them and I really don't want to start re cutting nut slots either.

Anyone got any recommendations please?

[quote name='Martin E' post='1137000' date='Feb 22 2011, 12:49 PM']I've always played roundwounds in a light gauge - 35 to 95. I struggle with anything heavier. I latched on to Stadium Elites many years ago and have never changed – their light gauge set runs 35,55,75,95 and I use them on both my fretless and fretted basses.

I would really like to try some flats but am struggling to find anything in the same gauge. The nearest I can see is D'Addario XL's which can be bought as single strings in some slightly odd gauges.

I really dont want anything heavier. I've tried many times to use thicker strings but I can't get on with them and I really don't want to start re cutting nut slots either.

Anyone got any recommendations please?[/quote]

If you find any let me know!! Maybe an alternive for you is tapewounds? you can get them light Elite do them in that gauge, What I have noticed recently is that the vast majority of the off the wall strings I used to use have gone. If you don't like nickel or stainless round wounds, you are pretty much fooked these days

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='Martin E' post='1137000' date='Feb 22 2011, 12:49 PM']I've always played roundwounds in a light gauge - 35 to 95. I struggle with anything heavier. I latched on to Stadium Elites many years ago and have never changed – their light gauge set runs 35,55,75,95 and I use them on both my fretless and fretted basses.

Anyone got any recommendations please?[/quote]
It is the actual thickness of the strings that you are concerned about or the tension?

TI Jazz Flats are 43-56-70-100 and low tension.