Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The leap from theory to practice

chugster

I've looked at plenty of books and websites , looked at scales, triads, etc, and I can competently play a few bass lines when I have the tab. However, there is a missing link- I have trouble relating the tab back to the theory. i.e If I look at the tab to a bass line, although I may be able to play it, I can't instantly see what scale or triad is being used. Another way to put it :"How do you know where the use of one scale starts and another ends?"

Do I make any sense?

Its complicated. Knowing where one scale starts is sometimes as simple case of looking at a chord that lasts, say, a bar, then looking at the next chord which lasts another bar and so on and changing the scale each bar. At other times, however, you can use one scale for several bars or even a whole tune. The first five chords of 'All The Things You Are' are all diatonic (in one key) so you can play one scale across all of them. Other songs have a change of scale every half a bar (Giant Steps is the most famously complicated example). You need to understand the relationship between a scale and a chord (say a C major scale against a C major chord) but you also need to build on that to understand the relationships between chords (e.g a C major scale will work over Cmaj7, Dm7, Em7, Fmaj7, G7, Am7 and Bm7b5). Add the Cycle of Fifths and you have the building blocks for massive amounts of contemporary music. Its really not as complicated as it sounds. Start by looking at simple songs made out of simple chords - a 12-bar blues is as good a place to start as any.

First of all,I think that using tab is one of the big problems because you can't see things like the key signature or how the notes relate to each other-you are only seeing a fret number.
To know what scales or chords are being played,the first place to look is at the key signature. If you know this and also understand basic diatonic harmony you can know what is being used with out looking at individual notes. You can also look at it chordally-if you know your chord theory and arpeggios you can extend them into there relevant scales (eg G mixolydian works with a G major 7 chord)

Also,remember that analysing and study should be done done in the practise room and not on the bandstand. When you get on stage you don't want to be thinking about all this-just play. But if you've studied it will come out naturally anyway.