Why become a member? ×

Keyboard recommendations ?

Soliloquy

I played keyboards as a second instrument at college. I'd like to get back into it, I should be able to pick up quite a few extra gigs from it.

Can anyone recommendation a good, reasonably priced keyboard ? I'm thinking piano and organ sounds mostly.

Most of the keyboard players I play with lug in huge great trunks of gear, I just want something smallish and easy to carry, and not expensive. I've asked a few of the guys I know and they've recommended stuff that's just too expensive.

Thanks !

Define "too expensive" so it gives me a chance :-)

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1131947' date='Feb 18 2011, 10:41 AM']I played keyboards as a second instrument at college. I'd like to get back into it, I should be able to pick up quite a few extra gigs from it.

Can anyone recommendation a good, reasonably priced keyboard ? I'm thinking piano and organ sounds mostly.

Most of the keyboard players I play with lug in huge great trunks of gear, I just want something smallish and easy to carry, and not expensive. I've asked a few of the guys I know and they've recommended stuff that's just too expensive.

Thanks ![/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1131960' date='Feb 18 2011, 10:50 AM']Define "too expensive" so it gives me a chance :-)[/quote]

Well they're talking in the upper hundreds, lower thousands. I'm talking about spending two maybe three hundred :).

It seems that keys players are very much 'gear snobs'.

I have an M-Audio Prokeys 88 which has the usual piano, organ, clavinet, rhodes, strings etc sounds. Affordable, 88 note weighted keys, headphones etc. I use it as a learning thing (voicings etc) and midi controller but can't really play it but I would suspect it is exactly the kind of thing you want for a price that is in your range.

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=m+audio+prokeys&hl=en&cid=3664383651184041090&ei=21BeTdfTMNGx-Qb9qtGWCQ&sa=title&ved=0CAwQ8wIwATgA#p"]M Audio Prokeys 88 stage piano[/url]

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1131982' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:00 AM']I have an M-Audio Prokeys 88 which has the usual piano, organ, clavinet, rhodes, strings etc sounds. Affordable, 88 note weighted keys, headphones etc. I use it as a learning thing (voicings etc) and midi controller but can't really play it but I would suspect it is exactly the kind of thing you want for a price that is in your range.

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=m+audio+prokeys&hl=en&cid=3664383651184041090&ei=21BeTdfTMNGx-Qb9qtGWCQ&sa=title&ved=0CAwQ8wIwATgA#p"]M Audio Prokeys 88 stage piano[/url][/quote]

That looks perfect, thanks !

And bass players are not? :)

It mostly depends on whether you want a good weighted action or are happy with plastic switches for keys....

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1131981' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:00 AM']Well they're talking in the upper hundreds, lower thousands. I'm talking about spending two maybe three hundred :).

It seems that keys players are very much 'gear snobs'.[/quote]