Why become a member? ×

Odd buzzing noise.

lloydbent

Hi,
I have a hartke ha3500 running through en eden nemesis 115 and a gallien kreugar 210. It works fine volume wise but for some reason, the eden makes a strange buzzing sound. It happens chiefly when i play the A string and also the louder it goes, the more prominant the buzzing.

Any help would be appreciated. I know nothing except the basics about amps so it may be a really obvious problem. So far i have checked to see if the speaker cone is split. It is not. I have also tightened all the screws on the cab. Still buzzes. Thta is as far as my feeble amp knowledge can take me.

Thanks alot,
Lloyd

There are loads of threads on this. Something is loose and it is a resonance effect, ie it is loose all the time but only sounds when it resonates. It could be anything up to a damaged voice coil but it is probably something trivial. Most buzzes are loose bits of speaker. Mainly things become un glued. Number one suspect is the dust cover, the dome in the middle of the speaker. Give it a very gentle poke all round then look all around where the cone joins the corrugated surround and finally where the surround joins the metal frame. Stick anything loose back with Copydex adhesive which is rubber based and flexible.

If not check nothing is touching the back of the speaker including any cables inside the cab. then work systematically round the cab itself looking for loose bits. A stethoscope even a child's one helps here.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you what's a hopeless fault-finding technique with this sort of problem - trying to play the note yourself and locate the buzz at the same time! Enlist a mate and take it in turns. Cabs are really simple devices - so long as you're careful and use some common sense you can't really go wrong. One thing though - have you tried this in at least two different rooms? There could be a loose floorboard or something if you've only ever tried it in one location.