Why become a member? ×

ashdown evo II 300 - no output.

lefrash

Hi folks, hopefully someone can determine whether the problem I've got with this head is worth fixing or not. at practice tonight, within about 5 minutes of turning it on, the output stopped working. there is a signal getting through it, and the meter responds to the signal, but aboslutely nothing come out of the speaker out. We tried different leads and a different cab, and absolutely nothing. Not even some crackling. Doing a search on this forum suggests that it might be the power transistor? I haven't a clue about these things, so I've no idea whether this is worth getting fixed, or should I just say goodbye to it? Its about 3 years old so well outwith the warranty. I dont know whether this is related, but over the past 6 months, the preamp section has been gettin very crackly, and when turning the 'input' knob it would lose signal. I would need to wiggle the knob about until I got full signal again. As I said though, I dont know whether this is related beacuse this bigger problem seems to be more of the power stage.

Any ideas what I should do?

thanks in advance

Fraser

Hi Fraser,
If you had the signal cutting out and then got it back by wiggling the volume pot then something in there is loose - I'd guess a fractured or poor quality solder joint.
The more you wiggle something that's not making contact properly, the looser it's going to get and eventually the chances are that even wiggling it with a club hammer isn't going to make the contact. :)

It would be worth getting someone to at least look at the amp before giving up on it.

Worth checking the fuses inside the amp first, especially the one that protects the speaker circuit..

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='icastle' post='1122194' date='Feb 10 2011, 12:39 AM']Hi Fraser,
If you had the signal cutting out and then got it back by wiggling the volume pot then something in there is loose - I'd guess a fractured or poor quality solder joint.
The more you wiggle something that's not making contact properly, the looser it's going to get and eventually the chances are that even wiggling it with a club hammer isn't going to make the contact. :)

It would be worth getting someone to at least look at the amp before giving up on it.[/quote]