Why become a member? ×

Intonation problem....

sykilz

Hi, I`ve just restarted my METAL band, and decided to use an Ibanez SR300 I`ve had kicking around as a spare, as I don`t want to use the Fender, and my old Washburn 5 string is in a bad way (!), but I`ve strung it BEAD as I need the low notes. The problem is that when trying to set the intonation on the low B the string,it is still coming up sharp ( on the 12th fret ) even though the saddle is all the way back,there is no more room to move ! Is there any solution to this, I`m using new rotosounds and the B is .130 gauge,would different string size help,or should I just forget it and play the higher notes...>!!!!!!!

First things first, I'd check the nut and ensure the B string isnt sitting on top of the nut slot - you would normally need to file a typical 4 string nut slightly to accomidate BEAD stringing. It could throw your intontation off if its not quite right and will probably make fretting low notes on the B harder than it needs to be.

If that isnt the case, then it may be worth considering re-mounting the bridge a few mm back from its normal position to give you a range of intonation adjustment more suited for BEAD. Probably only worth doing that if you intend to keep the bass in that tuning, of course.

Edited by Wil

Thanks, yeah I did file the nut with a proper file, so string is sitting in nicely,don`t want to do anything too drastic as probably won`t keep in this tuning forever,just wondered if this is a common thing when going to BEAD. Forgot to say the bass is 34" as far as I know.

[quote name='sykilz' post='1121579' date='Feb 9 2011, 05:10 PM']Hi, I`ve just restarted my METAL band, and decided to use an Ibanez SR300 I`ve had kicking around as a spare, as I don`t want to use the Fender, and my old Washburn 5 string is in a bad way (!), but I`ve strung it BEAD as I need the low notes. The problem is that when trying to set the intonation on the low B the string,it is still coming up sharp ( on the 12th fret ) even though the saddle is all the way back,there is no more room to move ! Is there any solution to this, I`m using new rotosounds and the B is .130 gauge,would different string size help,or should I just forget it and play the higher notes...>!!!!!!![/quote]

String diameter can shift intonation.
Low note intonation can be a problem - try a heavier gauge than a 130 - that'll at least move you in the right direction... :)

I've heard about this problem before - often on 5-string basses.

Sometimes changing the string is enough to resolve the problem. The other thing you can look at is the break angle over the nut - where the string goes from the nut to the machine head.

For best results the break angle should be as steep as possible as this exerts more pressure on the nut. To do this ensure that the string is wound around the post such that it leaves the post as low down as possible - some fiddling around and care when winding the string on to the post can help with this.

Cheers BOD2, not something I`d have thought of, I did change back to a set of ( I think ) Ernie Balls, same gauge by the look/feel, and they`re fine,did a quick set up and they`re perfectly intonated. I will definitely try the newer strings at some point though and try the winding adjustment.