Why become a member? ×

Passive Pickups

hhoward

Hi,
i am building a small recording studio

I am trying to get what i need to do what i want

i have always played mainly a four string, but now i am looking at a five string on a budget and i am looking at ebay

the cheapest way i can do this is to get a bass with passive pickups,

my question is, since i have always had a passion for punchy, growling bass sounds, a good example is "We Care A Lot' by Faith No More, i was wondering if i could still get that punch out of passive pickups to any level?

if not, how close? being that i am using it for recording so i have a lot of adjustments i can make on the desk.

another question would be, if i do get actives will they give the bass the quality it lacks from low quality build?

Thankyou
HowardH

Edited by hhoward

Most bass pickups are passive, but may have an active preamp - this is probably what you mean ! I'd say it's not critical to getting the tone, you can always use the EQ on an amp to boost frequencies. Most important I think is 2 pickups and fresh strings.

Thankyou for that, over the last ummmm few years i have only had EMG's, with EMG pots running 2 pre-amps, so i am kind of use to having a LOT of output from the bass.

it just worried me that it may be too asthmatic, but if it is only adjustments that are required.

the only other thing i can think of is that EMG's give a LOT of sustain for whatever reason and i thought that non-active would die pretty quickly.

thanks for your advice

HhowardH :)

[quote name='hhoward' post='1121517' date='Feb 9 2011, 04:09 PM']my question is, since i have always had a passion for punchy, growling bass sounds, a good example is "We Care A Lot' by Faith No More, i was wondering if i could still get that punch out of passive pickups to any level?

if not, how close? being that i am using it for recording so i have a lot of adjustments i can make on the desk.

another question would be, if i do get actives will they give the bass the quality it lacks from low quality build?[/quote]

My bass tone is 99% growl 1% everything else, and it only works with passives for me!