Why become a member? ×

Problem with my new Stagg EUB

fergy1971

Hey all,
I've finally taken the plunge and spent a few quid on a Stagg EUB. I've just started fiddling around on it and noticed an annoying 'fret' buzz around the 2nd/3rd 'fret' on the D & G strings. I've tried all sorts of combinations of bridge height and nut height (bits of cardboard on the nut!) all to no obvious avail. There is no blindingly obvious 'lump' or 'dent' on the fingerboard. I've also noticed that there is not a lot of relief in the neck at the moment.
So...my options are..
1. Take it back to the shop.
2. Try adjusting the truss rod to give the neck some relief.
3. Take it to a luthier to have a look at the fingerboard.

Is it worth having a go at the truss rod? Is there a risk of breaking it/making things worse?

Thanks in anticipation for any help offered.
Ferg

Sounds like something a truss rod tweak would sort out. If you're wary of giving it a tweak is the a basschatter who does their own setups nearby who could give you a hand?

I had my first precision over twenty years before I had the courage to tweak the rod, but now I do all my own setups on my basses. I've only had to tweak the rod on my NS-Design upright once when I first got it - which was daunting as the bass was so expensive, but if you know which way it needs to go & tweak it a little at a time, it should be straightforward.

I had one of these and had similar problems with the A string when I first had it. It was the string that was the problem - it wasn't wound evenly. A new set of strings sorted it out for me. Yours may be different but worth checking the string - the standard strings do not have the best quality control.

[quote name='bythesea' post='1120322' date='Feb 8 2011, 05:32 PM']I had one of these and had similar problems with the A string when I first had it. It was the string that was the problem - it wasn't wound evenly. A new set of strings sorted it out for me. Yours may be different but worth checking the string - the standard strings do not have the best quality control.[/quote]

+1

Mine is on the D string. I'm convinced it is a quality problem of the strings. Just need to get a replacement of the same guage.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally took it back to the shop after finding myself unable to remedy the situation. I dealt with Dawsons in Stockport and Chester and they ordered up a new Stagg EUB from their warehouse. When the new one was taken out of the box by the assistant (Sam) it had exactly the same issue! He then asked for the warehouse to try them before selecting a new one to send up. The upshot of all this is that I'm now the owner of a beautiful, red Stagg EUB! Dawson's were really helpful and kept me updated of all the shenanigans going on.
....now I've got to learn to play...!!?
:)