Why become a member? ×

Reel-to-Reel Tape Deck

flyfisher

I've been having a good old clear out and came across a couple of open-reel tapes. I think they contain old recordings I made in a previous band, possibly from when I was school in the, er, 19 (cough) 70s.

So I went into the attic to dig out my old Akai 4000DS open-reel tape deck, only to discover that the heads seem to have gone a bit rusty and also the little capstan collar thingy that made it run at 7.5 ips is missing.

So a bit of a long-shot I know, but does anyone within a reasonable distance of Hertford have a suitable open-reel tape deck that I could borrow for a day or so in order to copy these tapes onto my PC? I'm also frequently in the Thetford area of Norfolk, so that would be a possibility for me as well.

The tapes are standard 1/4-inch 4-tracks (bi-directional stereo) probably recorded at 7.5 ips but possibly 3.75 ips - but I suspect most suitable machines would be dual speed anyway.

Thanks for any help.

I've got my grandads old philips reel to reel tape deck up in the loft. I can't remember the spec but will check it out tomorrow.

It's been up there since we moved here in 1987, so I'll be amazed if it still works, but you never know.

I'll get back to you.

The other bit of good news, I'm very local to Hertford.

all the best, Gary

That's very kind of you. [b]gary mac[/b]'s tape deck turned out to be non-functional, but it was good of him to go to the trouble of digging it out of his attic.

Actually, I have a friend in Grantham, which is not too far from Spalding. The only problem is that I'd probably need to borrow it for at least a week in that case. Would that be stretching goodwill a bit far?