Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 Set-up advice

cameltoe

I aquired this off the forum recently, and it's a wonderful instrument, although it needs a good set-up. I had planned to take it to Mansons in Exeter as I also had a suspicion it may need a new nut, but I ended up tweaking a few things to get it how I'd like it.

It's not great now though. I'm OK at setting up precisions, etc, but this seems more complicated. The micro-tilt in the neck is confusing.

I managed to track down a step-by-step guide from the G&L website, but I realise this is only a basic set-up, and there were also things that confused me there too. I had always considered micro-tilt or any kind of shimming to be a last resort when you cannot get the action low enough, or as a final fine-tuning of the bass set-up. The G&L guide led me to believe the saddles should be set at a definite height, and the micro-tilt should then determine the action.

I tried this approach, and although the action is now where I'd like it, the strings are slapping like mad on the higher frets.

I've adjusted the truss rod once, carefully, to have the relief I'd expect to see over the 8th fret, and don't want to mess with that for a minute until I can get the rest figured out.

I've set the micro-tilt to how I like the action, nice and low, with a minor push from the screw to give the neck a slight angle backwards behind the body.

When I got the bass, it was much more extreme, with the micro-tilt pushing the neck waaaay behind the body. Ironically it was probably better to play then, but the saddles were jacked right up to compensate.

Do I need to factor in the micro-tilt adjustment from the start, or try to get the set-up I want with no push from the micro-tilt screw (i.e flat body to neck profile), and then only use the micro-tilt if I need to?

Or shall I just take it to Mansons?