Why become a member? ×

Bitsa Jazz

TheFear

im in the process of doing a Jazz build, been collecting loads of bits over the past couple of years, got myself some decent pick ups and a high mass bridge, i have stripped all the paint down to bare wood, just wanted to know what kind of paint to use, i want it blue with a nice heavy metalflake finish, i know a wicked car painter who is prepared to spray it for me but just not sure of the type of paint

[quote name='TheFear' post='1111821' date='Feb 2 2011, 12:39 AM']im in the process of doing a Jazz build, been collecting loads of bits over the past couple of years, got myself some decent pick ups and a high mass bridge, i have stripped all the paint down to bare wood, just wanted to know what kind of paint to use, i want it blue with a nice heavy metalflake finish, i know a wicked car painter who is prepared to spray it for me but just not sure of the type of paint[/quote]
You should definitely ask your sprayer, as the Manchester Guitar Tech cellulose makes it easy to use it's more expensive using aerosols and your sprayer should have access to loads of trade suppliers.

The pre-CBS Fenders used something akin to two pack (polyester, but an old fashioned version of it) for priming bodies, an acrylic based lacquer for candy apple finishes (like Halfords rattle cans), and the holy grail cellulose for solid colours and necks. Most people avoid polyester these days as it has the reputation of ageing badly (looking beaten up rather than worn), plus the fact that most cheapo guitars were finished in it. Cellulose is softer and generally applied thinner. It takes longer to spray & finish it because you have to spray thinner coats and wait a long time before you can flat it back and buff it, but allot of people like it because it ages nicely and some believe it lets the guitar resonate more freely. Polyurethane is what allot of the big companies use these days, sprayed thinner than the old polyester used to be and also generally better for the health of the person doing the spraying.

Hope this answers some questions