Why become a member? ×

Bass project - advice and opinions needed!

TRBboy

Ok. So I wanted a bit of a project, something to customise a bit, and bought a cheap Yamaha RBX270 because I know they play well and are pretty well built for a cheap bass.

I've got an Aguilar OBP2SK which I was gonna plumb in but now I've decided to keep it passive, buy new pickups and re-wire from scratch. The trouble is, I can't decide which pickups to go for, or what control configuration!

I like a nice full, powerful sound (in rock covers band at the mo) but I don't want to spend a fortune. I was looking at the Chinese(?) Kent Armstrongs from WD Music, but not sure that they'll hit the spot. I'm leaning towards Dimarzio Model P/Js but I've also considered SD Quarter Pounders (although I've already got some in my Jazz, so I fanvy something different).

The other consideration is what control config to go for. I definitely want to do away with the blend, so it's either VVT or 3-way toggle (if I can find a decent one with a longer thread!)

HELP!!!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

My current project has a Dimarzio "Model One" at the neck position for a dark Gibsony sound, a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder split P in the middle and a Dimarzio Ultra J at the neck. (Pickups chosen for me by Basschat forum members!) I fitted a Babicz full contact hardware bridge to improve resonance too.

You can have lots of fun with wiring configurations too, check out these options:

Parallel/series switching (Series is more ballsy I think)
Coil tapped humbucker (my Model One is coiltapped)
Switched or infinite panning/independent volume controls a'la jazz (can cause problem with independent tone controls though, which is one of the reasons why Les Pauls have a pickup switch and (most) Jazz basses only have one tone).
Home made Varitone! In its most basic form, a switch that changes the capacitor used across the tone pot for lots of different sounds.
Phase switchine (is pretty useless)

Just some ideas for ya!