Why become a member? ×

P bass tone capacitor

OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='129417' date='Jan 28 2008, 05:04 PM']With the rotary control with the various capacitors, I'd need a rotary tone pot too yeah?

Did it make a serious difference to the sound with each cap or was it subtle?[/quote]

The varitone can be wired with a tone control as well but i just wired it with a volume, very simple hookup and incredibly useful, mine was used with a single darkstar ( big single coil) and with a simple click of a knob i could go from a deep dubby sound to Motown to almost Ricky like bite. Admittedly the Darkstar played a part but it was a very useful set up one which i may well recreate with a cheapo SX or similar, personally i don't see the point of adding a tone pot, i got a simple setup which worked much better than any other passive basses i had owned and had all the variation i needed

[quote name='steve-norris' post='130954' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:00 PM']The varitone can be wired with a tone control as well but i just wired it with a volume, very simple hookup and incredibly useful, mine was used with a single darkstar ( big single coil) and with a simple click of a knob i could go from a deep dubby sound to Motown to almost Ricky like bite. Admittedly the Darkstar played a part but it was a very useful set up one which i may well recreate with a cheapo SX or similar, personally i don't see the point of adding a tone pot, i got a simple setup which worked much better than any other passive basses i had owned and had all the variation i needed[/quote]
OK Thanks Steve.

[quote name='Hamster' post='130888' date='Jan 30 2008, 07:05 PM'][quote name='OldGit' post='130870' date='Jan 30 2008, 06:41 PM']
Would a 500k pot brighten my darker sounding P pickup?[/quote]

Yes - it will allow more highs through. If that doesn't work, try a 1meg.
[/quote]
Um, why would it allow more highs through? A pot is a simple resistance, which doesn't vary with frequency.

Quick summary of resistances/impedances:

Resistor (fixed or variable): a resistance which doesn't vary with frequency
Capacitor: impedance which is inversely proportional to frequency - blocks DC completely, then the impedance falls as the frequency rises
Inductor (coil): impedance which is directly proportional to frequency - so it increases as the frequency rises

The effect of changing the volume pot is that (IIRC) it forms a potential divider with the pickup, so as the frequency rises, the proportion of the signal voltage across the volume pot would decrease. However, I don't know what the impedance of the pickup is - I would have thought it would have a pretty negligible effect, otherwise there just wouldn't be any top end. Oh hang on, it's a Precision, isn't it? :)

[quote name='tauzero' post='131382' date='Jan 31 2008, 04:34 PM']Yes - it will allow more highs through. If that doesn't work, try a 1meg.

Um, why would it allow more highs through? A pot is a simple resistance, which doesn't vary with frequency.

Quick summary of resistances/impedances:

Resistor (fixed or variable): a resistance which doesn't vary with frequency
Capacitor: impedance which is inversely proportional to frequency - blocks DC completely, then the impedance falls as the frequency rises
Inductor (coil): impedance which is directly proportional to frequency - so it increases as the frequency rises

The effect of changing the volume pot is that (IIRC) it forms a potential divider with the pickup, so as the frequency rises, the proportion of the signal voltage across the volume pot would decrease. However, I don't know what the impedance of the pickup is - I would have thought it would have a pretty negligible effect, otherwise there just wouldn't be any top end. Oh hang on, it's a Precision, isn't it? :)[/quote]

Cheeky

Well I'm a bit lost by that ..
new strings arrived today so I'll try that first then ..

.. should try the 500 k vol pot to see if things brighten up a bit?

Then it's a pup swap to see if that makes a difference .. I have a Fender P pup lying around .. It's a bit old though and I understand they loose power as they get old ... or is that an old wives tale?