Why become a member? ×

Replace Ampeg 4BVH with Orange Bass Terror?

sPiKi

I have been using the 4B with 410 HLF for a about a year now but I am just not getting a great sound from it, particularly on the E string, no matter how I EQ it. I play a US Std Jazz which goes through a VT Bass pedal which I use as a pre-amp because I just can't get the power out the guitar & amp alone. The low notes tend to 'honk' a lot for want of a better description. Before this I had been using an Ampeg SVT200T which is a 350W solid state amp. Although it couldn't handle the volume without clipping I play at, I just preferred the tone. Having looked around a bit I really like the sound of the Bass Terror here: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rN4glWmTs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rN4glWmTs[/url].

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas - am I mad considering the change or how could I try to get a better sound? I haven't been able to try the BT out for myself since there are no Orange dealers here in NI but I know some forum members have a similar set up. Thanks in advance.

I`ve no experience with the Ampeg amp, but did have a Terror. Great little amp, incredibly powerful, but the eq isn`t the most responsive in the amp-world. I found that to get a sound out of mine which I liked I needed to use my Sansamp all the time, and in general I prefer to only use bass into the amp.

There is a good thread on here somewhere about the Terror, and it links to a youtube demo of the amp, which is a great demo. I`d have a listen to that, as if you don`t like any of the sounds on the demo, its unlikely the Terror is for you, as it doesn`t really do much more - the demo is very inclusive of most of the Terrors sounds.

I have the same V4BH and i'm never selling it,but that's me.I particularly like that head because of the lowend punch.I use it with 12" and 15" speakers that can go low.I know the box you have goes low too,i have tried it,but it still is 10"speaker-sound.If possible,try a 12 or 15"cab with good sensitivity(high output)in a store with your amp.Or Barefaced for instance.I've heard they are efficiant.

Edited by Anders