Why become a member? ×

Help me refinish my 96 jazz fiver

JMT3781

Have embarked upon a little mission after a series of events...

Firstly, I found myself looking at wood and bodies and necks and planning as bass build...

Then I was gassing after a custom super jazz with a more trad look... (stopped myself whilst eyeing up allevas...)

Then I received an offer on my wreck of a jazz from a cheeky basschatter which has led to me satisfying all these urges by refinishing my bass!

Here are my skills :
Electronics and soldering.. Yep.
Everything else.. Nope.

Anyway here is my first topic asking advice. I've stripped the paint.. But have no idea what colour to go with. I'm gonna pay to have the paintwork done, because I guarantee I will hash it up. This bass in question is:
1996 fender American jazz 5
Metallic red
Pao ferro board
Standard fender electrics and pups.
White pick guard.

So what colours would you folks go for? I want something classic, but a little different, nothing that was as standard with this bass. I'm happy to get a pick guard done in a diff colour. Also, if I was to leave the body natural, is there a way to age the body and make it nice and yellowy? Also, as I want it to be more of a super jazz, should I go active? Or what do you guys think about having the classic stacked nobs?

Help a brother out guys:p

J
So