Why become a member? ×

Fixed Bridges And Intonation

Oakbear

You have to bear in mind that (unless you're very lucky) the bridge will only intonate properly for one particular set of strings. If you change gauge, material, type (flat/round/whatever), construction or even brand, chances are the saddles would need a tweak on your average bass, both for intonation and height. On a bass with a fixed bridge, that's obviously not possible.

If you know exactly which strings you'll want to use for the entire life of the bass, that may be fine. If, like me, you're a serial tweaker... well, I just wouldn't have a fixed bridge.

Here's a thought, though... would it be possible to have the bridge essentially free (like a DB bridge), with only the downward pressure from the strings passing over it holding it onto the body? (Like a nut that hasn't been glued in.)

Thanks for the input guys! I've always wondered how and why people did this!

I like the idea of a semi fixed bridge, maybe string pressure and some coating on the underside to stop it slipping, but moveable if needs be for tweaking or string changes etc.

Off to the lab to experiment now i think!