Why become a member? ×

Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes

WalMan

Anyone cover this at all?

It's been talked about in the proggy covers band and is on the "learn" list for next r/h.

So I pick up the Wal 4 with the Hipshot on that is in the study for a first go and the song itself is pretty straightforward, BUT in D and all of the riffs seem to fall nicely under my fretting hand with the D-tuner switched down a tone to D, though messing with positions I can see that it would probably be easy enough on a 5 with a slightly different pattern.

I have semi retired the Wal and done the last proggy gig & r/h's with the two L2500's but I might have to bring the Wal back out for this.

So, as above, anyone cover this, then what do you use?

[quote name='RhysP' post='1104686' date='Jan 27 2011, 06:27 AM']As Colin Edwin doesn't use 5 string basses it would have been drop D tuning.
He also uses a Spector 4 string with a low tuning (C I think) but he didn't have this when "In Absentia" was recorded.[/quote]
Cheers. I meant to try and check from that direction, but it was getting late

[quote name='wizbat' post='1105279' date='Jan 27 2011, 05:17 PM']He plays it on the wal 4 string for sure! drop d tuning, I watched him from the front row a couple of times now.
I love the band. :)[/quote]
I shall have to be a real copycat then :) Wall with the Hipshot it is

[quote name='RhysP' post='1104686' date='Jan 27 2011, 06:27 AM']As Colin Edwin doesn't use 5 string basses it would have been drop D tuning.
He also uses a Spector 4 string with a low tuning (C I think) but he didn't have this when "In Absentia" was recorded.[/quote]

I remember someone here mentioning that they met Colin once and told him how they played all his songs on a 5 string bass and he had chuckled to himself!