Why become a member? ×

Sound City 120

andytickell

I am thinking of upgrading my bass rig from SS to all valve I currently have a Sound City 120 bass head which needs a good service as it's as old as my grandad.

This could cost a bit so I was just wondering what people's opinions were on the Sound City 120 as a bass amp?

Otherwise I have about £350ish to spend on a valve head.

Thanks.

[quote name='andytickell' post='126460' date='Jan 23 2008, 09:21 PM']I am thinking of upgrading my bass rig from SS to all valve I currently have a Sound City 120 bass head which needs a good service as it's as old as my grandad.

This could cost a bit so I was just wondering what people's opinions were on the Sound City 120 as a bass amp?

Otherwise I have about £350ish to spend on a valve head.

Thanks.[/quote]

Loud and with a good blues tone AFAICR. If that's what you're looking for then you have a decent amp. If you live near Surrey I can put you onto a cracking valve amp tech :)

Hamster

Ok I will be playing it through a peavey 4x10 cab as that is the only cab I have.

AFAICR? I am not up on my abbreviations!

I actually live in Kingston-upon-Thames and was considering taking it to Charile Chandler but if you know of anyone else who is reasonably priced I am all ears.

I have a lead model.
it is a good bass amp, as it has a very wide frequency response. most guitar players find them too clean.
should you find the el34's too mid rangey, you can put a quad of 6550's in the center 4 sockets only (may require a bias mod). I often use it instead of my SC 200 - depending on what I want.
brycecites also runs one and seems pretty happy with it.

[quote name='andytickell' post='126470' date='Jan 23 2008, 09:41 PM']Ok I will be playing it through a peavey 4x10 cab as that is the only cab I have.

AFAICR? I am not up on my abbreviations!

I actually live in Kingston-upon-Thames and was considering taking it to Charile Chandler but if you know of anyone else who is reasonably priced I am all ears.[/quote]

As Far As I Can Recall/Remember :)

From Kingston you are a very short drive from Steve - [url="http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/"]http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/[/url]. He's excellent and much cheaper then Chandler's. Tell him guys from Basschat sent you :huh:

Hamster

[quote name='andytickell' post='126801' date='Jan 24 2008, 12:07 PM']Thanks for the help guys.

Don't suppose you have heard of Greg at [post="0"]guitar aid[/post] he's based in fulham which is easier to get to than where steve is based.

Cheers.[/quote]

Linky no worky!

Hamster

You mean this guy?: [url="http://www.guitaraid.co.uk/"]Guitar Aid[/url]

Edited by Hamster