Why become a member? ×

Cheap Amp Advice!

JeSuisSkeleton

Ok, so I need a [b]very[/b] cheap amp that can handle gigging small/medium rooms. I used to have a Peavey TNT 115 but I sold it; too big and heavy. I've been looking around at other options but not getting anywhere. Can someone suggest some amps to me? I'm playing pretty much all genres at the moment so it needs to be an all-rounder. Max budget of £250, which is pretty low, but I'm looking at second-hand stuff. I've been looking at things like Hartke Kickbacks and Fender Rumble 150s, but I'm not sure. It needs to be super-portable (bad back, no car, rely on buses and the Tube), or as portable as possible.

Thanks!

Tough call with that sort of budget. Are you playing in places where you can borrow a cab? Might be best scoring a head with some EQ options and dialing in to whatever is there. Massive cabs and heavy heads are where the bargains are. Behringer BDI21 for sorting the room sound if there is PA and whatver combo you can put right next to your head is the other budget solution. Peavey stuff is all great but falls on the weight thing.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1102474' date='Jan 25 2011, 06:07 PM']Tough call with that sort of budget. Are you playing in places where you can borrow a cab? Might be best scoring a head with some EQ options and dialing in to whatever is there. Massive cabs and heavy heads are where the bargains are. Behringer BDI21 for sorting the room sound if there is PA and whatver combo you can put right next to your head is the other budget solution. Peavey stuff is all great but falls on the weight thing.[/quote]

It's mostly uni stuff at the moment so I could go into a DI there, but other places, I'm not sure yet. I did think about that option though. Can you plug a cab into a DI?

EDIT - Chris, I have a folding trolley, one of those Design Go ones. Can hold up to 35kg I think.

Edited by JeSuisSkeleton

[quote name='JeSuisSkeleton' post='1102487' date='Jan 25 2011, 06:12 PM']It's mostly uni stuff at the moment so I could go into a DI there, but other places, I'm not sure yet. I did think about that option though. Can you plug a cab into a DI?

EDIT - Chris, I have a folding trolley, one of those Design Go ones. Can hold up to 35kg I think.[/quote]

Just get a DI pedal/floorbox, most features for least money is the BDI21, but get a Sansamp for about half your budget and you have a lifetime industry standard friend. Some amps have a built in DI, but the lower end ones tend to not be great.