Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Svt 3 Pro Speaker Outputs

mik900

My Ampeg SVT3 pro has a speakon connector for speakers and two 1/4 jack connectors Parallel?? I have two questions:

1. Do both 1/4 jacks output 4 ohms each? Not sure what parallel means!

2. At a gig last week I used the venues speakers (4 X 10 8ohm and 1 X 15 8 ohm) the sound guy took a feed for each individual cab from one of the 1/4 outputs at the back of the amp. Isn't this only driving the speakers at 8ohms and therefore not maximising the amp?

I normally use the speakon out into a 4ohm 4 X 10 cab. In instance 2, I would have took 1/4 output from amp into cab 1 and daisy chain to the other cab, giving me a 4 ohm load maximising amp output.

have I missed something or is the sound guy right?

Mike

The outputs are in parallel. Connect one cab with an 8ohm load to the amp and the amp will run at 8 ohms at 275w. Connect another 8 ohm cab to the amp and the amp sees a 4ohm load and will give you the full 450w split evenly between the two cabs. Alternatively, connect one 4 ohm speaker ti the cab and it will provide full power to the one cab.

Do not go any lower than 4ohms on this amp. It will fry it. I.e. 2 4 ohm cabs, or a 4 ohm and 8 ohm.

Read u on the impedence sticky, but i hope this is useful. :)