Why become a member? ×

Sold Selection Of Short-scale Strings - Hard To Find And Custom Made....

I've been playing bass for just over a year after upgrading from regular 6 string guitar. Decided to go for a shortie as I guessed it would be a fairly easy transition for me and then went through the process of buying different types/brands of strings - testing feel, sound and string tension; until eventually I settled for some D'addario short scale nickels. I typically only played each set of strings for a few days before I decided if they were right for me or not. So....

For sale are 4 x hardly used, rare and hard to find short scale strings including some custom made Rotosounds.
and 1 x brand new unused custom Rotosound pack.

These would be perfect for someone like me who wants to try out lots of different short-scale strings. As any shortie owner knows the selection of short strings available is pretty limited - I had to order these hard to find strings from abroad (US & Germany) and even arranged for Jason How at Rotosound to make me 3 custom sets. Their details and pictures are:

Optima Gold (formally Maxima - used by John Entwistle) - 50/65/85/105
La Bella Hard Rocking Steel's - 54/75/90/111
Ken Smith Round Wound Steel - 44/63/84/106
Rotosound Swing 66 custom - 50/70/85/110

[attachment=69821:strings.JPG]

[attachment=69822:stringsdetail.JPG]I

l live in London if anyone wants to check these over before commiting to purchase, or alternatively I can post them to you. Never sold anything on here so I guess paypal would be the prepared method of payment.

Many thanks,
Cieran

Edited by Cieran

[quote name='Stuee' post='1103027' date='Jan 26 2011, 12:20 AM']I might be up for one of these sets, but you have omitted to list individual prices Cieran.

Any chance? :)[/quote]

Sorry but they have already been sold! I had interest for the entire lot a couple of days ago - was just waiting for payment to be recieved.

What strings were you interested in? I can point you in the right direction to get some if need be....

I think I'm going to give the D'Addario nickels a go too, especially as they are the least expensive short scales I've found at £18.95 per 1 set from [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/2407-d_addario_exl_nickel_wound_short_scale_bass_exl160s_exl170s_exl220s_"]Strings Direct[/url]. Elites are 2nd cheapest at £19.95 from the Bass Centre.

I found some Optima Golds but at 50 quid a pop I won't be trying them any time soon. That's why I was interested in buying some from you :)

Cheers, Stuee.

[quote name='Stuee' post='1105718' date='Jan 27 2011, 11:46 PM']I think I'm going to give the D'Addario nickels a go too, especially as they are the least expensive short scales I've found at £18.95 per 1 set from [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/2407-d_addario_exl_nickel_wound_short_scale_bass_exl160s_exl170s_exl220s_"]Strings Direct[/url]. Elites are 2nd cheapest at £19.95 from the Bass Centre.

I found some Optima Golds but at 50 quid a pop I won't be trying them any time soon. That's why I was interested in buying some from you :)

Cheers, Stuee.[/quote]

The D'addario Nickels are exellent imo - sound very bright for nickels and their tension is pretty decent for a short scale. Funnily enough out of all the strings I tried I found that the Elite Steels were my second favourite but I couldn't get used to the rougher feels of SS.

Optimas are also pretty decent. I ordered them from [url="http://schneidermusik.de"]http://schneidermusik.de[/url] which works out a little cheaper - plus you can order individual Optima strings if you so desire. The only downside to them is that as a pick player I found they squeaked a little bit which isn't a problem when using your fingers. I even managed to track down the makers of Optima strings who agreed to make me custom gauges, but I couldn't afford them at the time.