Why become a member? ×

Orange Tiny Terror And Sp212 Fs/ft" Traded"

lloyd

I have the Tiny Terror 500w and SP212 cab, bought brand new couple of months ago from PMT in Manchester.
A fantastic little amp and cab with a tone to die for, however, I want something a bit bigger ( ooeer matron! ).

Here's the blurb on the amp;

The Orange Bass Terror has landed. Well not quite, we’ll have to wait a few more weeks until the first shipment has arrived, but this reviewer has been lucky enough to see it, hear it and play through it and I’m here to tell you, it’s sensational!

You cannot believe an amp this small can pump out 500 Watts, and that’s at both 8 and 4 ohms. It’s the same size as the Tiny Terror, about the same weight, and uses two ECC83 preamp valves and a Class D solid state power section. The single input has a pad for use with active instruments and there’s a gain and master volume. The three band EQ is cut or boost from the centre point giving a wide variety of tonal possibilities. The speaker outputs located on the rear are two Speakon sockets, which are safer than jack leads in my opinion although it’s always advisable to carry a spare one. Cleverly positioned on the side of the Terror Bass is a DI out using an XLR connector and an effects loop with mono jacks. That’s about it, apart from the fact it’s supplied in the rather natty woven gig bag.

Plugged into an Orange SP212 Isobaric cabinet, it’s immediately apparent that this is going to be a winner for Orange. At low volume it sounded suberb, at mid volume it sounded superb and loud…well, you’ve guessed it. First off, there were absolutely no rattles or vibrations from the cabinet or amp chassis, just the pure note, and with the active EQ it’s possible to get all the regular bass sounds that a jazzer, blueser, pit player and rock player would need on a small to mid size gig. It doesn’t do extremes, but then why would you expect it to?

You’d be hard pushed to make this amp sound bad. I found the tone sweet and musical, nothing missing in the frequency ranges except for extreme top end as mentioned. Antony Gunter, Orange’s UK Sales Manager told me that the Bass Terror was, “designed in response to bass players asking for their version of the Tiny Terror”. Orange already shared a manufacturing facility in the far east that was producing the Class D technology so marrying up a valve pre amp and a solid state power amp was a canny move, and one that will no doubt prove as spectacularly successful as the Tiny Terror.

Here's the blurb on the cab;
Smart Power - Built to handle 600w of power, this extremely compact cab from Orange sounds twice as big as it actually is! This really is a 2x12!

Orange have achieved maximum power in the smallest possible package by using a new speaker mounting concept they are calling "Smart Power". By mounting the speakers behind each other they are producing the same amount of power without taking up too much space. Because we are talking about bass frequencies and matched drivers, the "muffling" effect of having one speaker in front of the other will be negligible.

Looking for something at least 500w , maybe a decent combo, or why?

Bearing in mind the value is getting up to £900-£1000.

Anyone interested in doing summat? :)

Cheers
Lloyd

ps, sorry I'll put some pics up soon, but it is unmarked and the cab as a roqsolid cover as well.

Edited by lloyd

Hi TomTom,

I'd be up for a straight sale, but bearing in mind it is showroom condition, has a cab cover and all the leads, I cant be to flexible on the price ( plus it has to fund another amp!)

I'd let it go for £900 complete, and tell you what, I'll deliver it to you as well. :)

Lloyd.

[quote name='TomTom' post='1100166' date='Jan 23 2011, 09:36 PM']Unfortunatley mate, DV247 have the terror and the cab priced at £838 as a bundle. It might not be worth selling if you cant get what you want for it.[/quote]

Makes my offer of £1800 worth of gear, (new selling prices), that I PM'd look even better :) , just hope it's of interest.
I'd be happy to take the hit I'm taking as the Terror and SP 212 is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.
Why is there no emoticon for praying? :)
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='1100197' date='Jan 23 2011, 09:57 PM']Makes my offer of £1800 worth of gear, (new selling prices), that I PM'd look even better :) , just hope it's of interest.
I'd be happy to take the hit I'm taking as the Terror and SP 212 is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.
Why is there no emoticon for praying? :)
Karl.[/quote]

It exactly what im after too mate, just looks like the best compromise of size and sound. I like the fact that you can easily add another small cab for extra oompf too.

Hope it works out for you bud.

[quote name='TomTom' post='1100224' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:19 PM']It exactly what im after too mate, just looks like the best compromise of size and sound. I like the fact that you can easily add another small cab for extra oompf too.

Hope it works out for you bud.[/quote]

Cheers TomTom, totally with you on compromise.
Spoke to Lloyd last night and he is keen, however if he gets a cash offer that he likes, I certainly would not blame him for taking it :) .
Stuff I'm selling/trading is stupid amount new, but as long as I don't have to get my hand in my pocket :) .
You are so right about extending as well, a dozen gigs will get me another 2x12 if I get lucky.
Fingers crossed,
cheers,
Karl.

• 1 year later...

I got these end of Jan last year.

Welcome to the forum Bass Addict. At the top of each individual post, in each thread, there is a date.
If it is more than a couple of months back, you are better off sending a private message to the original poster of the thread.
I have literally just agreed a deal to trade this Orange head for an Ashdown Klystron Classic 500, the ONLY amp I would use rather then the Orange.
Good luck,
Karl.