Why become a member? ×

Whizzy 10 Or 12 M-line

stewartmusic

Right,

Looking to try and put a new rig together and wanted to get some peoples opinions on the EA cabs.

Mainly im looking at the whizzy 10 and the 12 M-Line.

I know the weight of the 10 is very appealing, but would like to see if there is a notable difference between the two, or see what people think of the two speakers :)

Thanks

Dara

I've used the older cxl110/12 speakers a lot..so I would hazard the following thoughts. If weight (and size) is a priority, and you don't need to be loud then the wizzy 10 will cover a lot of smaller gigs. But the Mline 12 will win every time on sound. I'd go for the MLine12, unless I was looking for an ultra portable setup..and usually playing in small group/acoustic situations.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1097263' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:22 AM']I've used the older cxl110/12 speakers a lot..so I would hazard the following thoughts. If weight (and size) is a priority, and you don't need to be loud then the wizzy 10 will cover a lot of smaller gigs. But the Mline 12 will win every time on sound. I'd go for the MLine12, unless I was looking for an ultra portable setup..and usually playing in small group/acoustic situations.[/quote]

Thanks for those comments!

What i'm looking for needs to be relatively portable as I double for quite a few show gis etc and dont drive...i feel like a donkey with everything piled on me! but would you say having the slightly heavier Mline will completely surpass the whizzy10 because of the 12 inch cone and added Whizzy tweet? with the added possibility that i might buy a second of whichever cab I choose?

basically 2 whizzy 10 or 2 Mline 12

If you can budget for two 10's then that's the most flexible option..and not driving is the clincher. I had 2xcxl10s and 1xcxl12..pretty much the same options but in the older heavier series. I used a single10 a lot, for smaller (no drums) gigs. For the best sound I used the single 12.....but the 2x10 cabs together were amazing and still broke down into a very small and portable amount of kit. The only issue was the weight of those cabs (around 34lbs each).

Footnote - I've recently changed to a single Barefaced Midget (with EA Micro) and am very happy. With amp, its lighter than a GK Micro combo....but sounds so much bigger than it is.

Edited by BassBod

You'll see from my sig that I have a few speakers to play with but I've been using a single Wizzy 10 a lot recently. It works well even with drums and can fill quite a large hall. Putting a second 10 with it gives a lot of headroom and I sometimes find that I have to eq some of the bass out.