Why become a member? ×

How much is this SX worth?

Jamesemt

I've just bought a Blue SX Jazz from Rondo, but don't like the neck (too deep).

So i'm thinking of changing the neck on my vintage white (butter coloured!!) SX Jazz. Only problem is that the Blue Jazz has a blue headstock.

So butter coloured bass with a blue headstock :)

How much is it worth? Would anyone buy it as an SX tryout? It's in good condition apart from that (the control plate is missing a screw and will need redoing - think it was drilled at an angle and pokes through into the control cavity!!) Sounds a lot worse than it is. Also got an EMG Select at the bridge.

Obviously the neck is brand new (ie unwrapped about an hour ago!!)

Any thoughts? SWMBO has set my guitar limit at 5, and this bass makes 6!! :huh:

Edited by Jamesemt

you can always have the headstock paint stripped...or have the buyer do it, if you don't feel that comfortable about it :huh:

and yes - I think you won't have a hard time getting rid of it (especially if you take care of the headstock color) - I might be interested if the price is right and you'll ship it to me :)

IMO the weak points on an SX are the frets, tuners and the pots... of course due to the nature of their production the quality of the finished product fluctuates, so you might have a really nice bass there.

I would say without pics it is worth about £50-100, which model is it?

Edited by minty fresh death

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='128395' date='Jan 26 2008, 07:29 PM']IMO the weak points on an SX are the frets, tuners and the pots... of course due to the nature of their production the quality of the finished product fluctuates, so you might have a really nice bass there.

I would say without pics it is worth about £50-100, which model is it?[/quote]

Ermmm that's the point!!

57 Body, 62 neck. The only difference appears to be neck shape/fretboard and body colour.

Anyways, turns out I'm going to have to redrill the holes in the neck to make up my 'nice' SX, meaning that I'll probably sell the other body and neck seperate...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='128544' date='Jan 27 2008, 09:45 AM']What is the point of all this mucking around with cheap basses. I'm sure you end up spending more than if you just bought proper basses like your Jap Fender.[/quote]

mmmm, let me think about that.

Jap Fender £480 ish, Wizard Thumper £50, Jazz Neck £160 (from US), Hipshots £60 (from US), DR Sunbeams £25 (from US) = £775 (- old P neck which I sold for £120) = £655

SX Jazz £120, second jazz bass £40 (assembling old parts and possibly getting £80 for the spare parts), Hipshots £60, DR Sunbeams £25 (from US) = £245/£295 if I get an equivalent pickup (not needed, SX pickups are so hot)...

Spoken by someone who's never played a decent SX ;)

FWIW I had £1k to spend on a bass, looked at getting a Lakland DJ 4 (in LPB...very sexy!!) but didn't like the neck. After playing loads of basses, the only necks that I really fit with are Jap Jazzes and SX Jazzes - I'm sure there are loads of others, but wanted a cheap knacker bass for work (the SX)

Oh and I like to modify things to make them my own - Sky+ box has a 500GB hard drive, car is running 320lb/ft torque due to ermm a few tweaks, built a PC jukebox etc etc just like to play :huh:

Oh and with the money I've saved, I've bought an SX fretless, OLP 5 string Levin (on order...), 3 sets of strings and a set of fender knobs :) oh and a posh sensor tumble drier for 'er indoors ;) AND STILL enough cash to put towards a new amp

Edited by Jamesemt