Why become a member? ×

"just Keep It Simple"

TomTFS

I was just listening to someone play a cover of Weak today

All the players, are deemed as 'good' players, but TBH it wasn't great because they missed the most important part of the music. The simplicity and the feel. They were funky guys who thought they could play rock. The bassist was putting in fills that wasn't quite right and couldn't play those simple driving meaty 8th's and the drummer, well just couldn't play a strong simple rock groove with tasteful fill and not many..

The top guys play the simple stuff bl**dy well, that's way they are at the top

[quote name='algmusic' post='1104827' date='Jan 27 2011, 10:45 AM']I was just listening to someone play a cover of Weak today

All the players, are deemed as 'good' players, but TBH it wasn't great because they missed the most important part of the music. The simplicity and the feel. They were funky guys who thought they could play rock. The bassist was putting in fills that wasn't quite right and couldn't play those simple driving meaty 8th's and the drummer, well just couldn't play a strong simple rock groove with tasteful fill and not many..

The top guys play the simple stuff bl**dy well, that's way they are at the top[/quote]

We play Weak. Thing is, it's the same chords as All Along the Watchtower, so the temptation to throw in a bit of Noel Redding is quite strong, but it doesn't work. Our guitarist allows himself a few Hendrix licks in the solo, but I stay with the program.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1104963' date='Jan 27 2011, 12:33 PM']We play Weak. Thing is, it's the same chords as All Along the Watchtower, so the temptation to throw in a bit of Noel Redding is quite strong, but it doesn't work. Our guitarist allows himself a few Hendrix licks in the solo, but I stay with the program.[/quote]

You feel my pain. I love the both bands/artists. I also love steak and double chocolate gateau but I don't mix them :-)

I play in a prog-metal band now, my biggest fear was that I wouldn't be good enough. I joined and looked at the written basslines, learnt them & struggled with them then asked if they minded me editing them slightly. Now slightly simplified in most places (and more complex in others) and the songs have a LOT more punch!

Just finished editing the bassline to a slower song which was really melodic but sounded really busy, now its simpler and really sticks out in the mix. Guitarist couldn't be happier!

Good band this! Like others have said it's what the song demands not what you want to play.