Why become a member? ×

Intonation vs. String gauge (Short Scale Jedson) - Newbie alert!!

namke

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've got a (jap-crap) Jedson short-scale Tele-bass, which I've been resurrecting. So far the electrics are sorted, but the intonation is out.

The strings are old (20 years!) and I have a set of short-scale Rotosound 66s (40/50/75/90) ready to go on; but I'd like to know (before I restring it) whether the strings have much of an effect on intonation?

Unfortunately, the bridge/saddles are fixed (with only height adjustment), so adjusting the 'string length' involves moving all of the saddles.

So. Is the intonation problem due to a misplaced bridge (by measuring alone it seems like it's in the right place - scale length is about 24.75" ), or should I be using a different string gauge? Or perhaps even a different tuning?!

Perhaps I should give it up and get a 'proper' bass!

[quote name='headofire' post='1090553' date='Jan 15 2011, 03:53 PM']they should be fine to use on there, you check intonation at the twelfth fret, comparing the harmonic to the fretted note. If its flat shorten the string length, if its sharp compared to the harmonic make the string longer ( adjust saddle or in your case move the bridge) best to use a tuner and not have the bass flat on its back but on its side as if you were playing it. This can throw out the intonation a surprising amount on a short scale. do it flat then fine tune sideways. hold down the string gently to avoid pulling it sharp.

They are funky little things, but a squier bronco would do a better job (30" scale) of staying in tune etc.

You could replace or move the bridge pretty easily. short scale is usually 26-30 inches.. yours is short even for a lead guitar. I would have thought it would be at least 26 (baritone guitar scale)

Its never going to be a great instrument but they are fun. Dont give up, Good luck mate![/quote]

Thanks for the tips - the only reason I bought it (20+ years ago) was because it was the twin of my first electric guitar! I've obviously got a thing about short-scale; my current guitar is a Fender Mustang with a 24" scale :)

I'll give moving the bridge a go - thanks for the tip about tuning it in a playing position, I'd have never thought of that. At the moment it seems like the bridge needs to be about 5mm further back (lengthening the strings). Some experimentation will be needed!

The intonation will be out because of the old strings. Change those and, if you're lucky and the frets and the bridge are in the right place, your bass should be in tune.

It isn't really worth spending money on old/cheap basses, but that's your choice.

Thanks for the advice one and all! I've just stripped the bass back and rebuilt it (needed new pots and a clean, along with new strings of course. It now sounds better, and the intonation isn't [i]so[/i] off as before - so progress has been made :)

Not sure just how long I'm gonna keep it before succumbing to a [i]real[/i] bass though :)