Why become a member? ×

Jeff and Barefaced

Dropzone

I think I am getting resigned that my Jeff Berlin Combo on its own is not loud enough for gigs, provide clear lows and have the tone I want (But this may be due to the lack of volume).

So my question is if I were to go barefaced with the Jeff, which one should I go for and is it likely to give me a good overall sound?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

How's the tone of the JB Combo at lower SPL? How does it change when things get loud? The answer's either going to be Compact or Midget, but it depends on where the current deficiency is - the challenge with the classic "I want clear lows" statement is trying to work out what's missing, because lows on their own aren't really clear. So is the lack of clarity in the lows due to a midrange issue, a treble issue or is it the lows themselves? Or is it indeed a problem with generating the lows causing a problem with the mids? How either cab works with the JB is a bit of a suck it and see thing - aren't you quite close to Brighton? If so, buy one, try it, if that doesn't work try the other, if that doesn't work then have your money back!

Best regards,

Alex

Yes, just down the road in Sunny Bognor.

Essentially when tuned to A there is just a wallow of sub bass and clarity or punch.

Do you have somewhere where I could bring my combo and try your range out?

I suspect the answer may be a new amp as well but would like to try with the JB first.

Ta

Mike

Hi Mike,

You mean the A below low B (i.e. 27.5Hz? My guess is that the enclosure alignment plus the speaker excursion is causing your woofer to move too far, which is thus killing the rest of your tone. I don't believe in trying cabs out shop-style - it's an artificial environment that frequently leads people down the garden path with their choices. You need to use them in a LOUD rehearsal or gig to find out if they suit.

Best regards,

Alex

Although I referred to the 27.5Hz fundamental of the low A that wasn't my concern, and from what I've seen all the Markbass heads are many dB down by that point. The issue is likely to be the 55Hz second harmonic and you'll struggle to throw away that region without thinning out your tone too much.

The Jeff Berlin has low and high filters, although I am not sure what they do, I just twidle until they sound ok. We do go down very low for some tracks.

I am just waiting for a brief cash flow to clear then I will be in touch. Is there a current waiting list?

Ta

Mike