Why become a member? ×

Little Pinky Pain!

Skol303

I've been playing bass for a couple of months now (I used to play, like, 10+ years ago...so I'm very much a beginner again!).

Been practicing lots of scales to get my left hand stronger and more agile. The only problem is that I think I've overdone it and injured my pinky finger! Not badly so... it just hurts a little in the muscle at the base of the finger, but also around the outside edge of my wrist where I'm assuming the pinky tendon runs.

My technique/posture might be to blame for this, or it might simply be that I haven't used my pinky for anything apart from picking my nose these past 10 years... hence it might just need strengthening. I'm practicising for around 2 hours a day, so maybe I'm just doing too much too soon?

Yeah, I know this ain't "hypochondriacs anonymous" (!), but if anyone has experienced the same and can offer advice then please do.

Cheers!

My compliments for your enthusiasm and dedication. However, your suspicions may well be close to the mark on this one, it could just be a case of too much too soon.

Several details could help with reponses to your question;

- Could you outline if that two hours you mentioned is in one period or spread over the course of the day ? if spread out, what's the average amount of time in one go ?

- You don't mention a rough idea of your age. The body's endurance to tasks both old and new alters over time.

But that's just trying to get to the bottom of your ailment. In the meantime, if you use the little (5th ?) finger less and see what happens, it should give you some ideas.

Also,

-how tight are you gripping the neck ?

- Do you have a tutor or and experienced someone that can watch you play ? they may see things that are not immediately obvious.

Hope you get this sorted and good luck with your bass career

T

^ Cheers T! Yeah, I'm guessing it's probably just too much too soon, and that my pinky hasn't had chance to adjust.

In answer to your questions:

"Could you outline if that two hours you mentioned is in one period or spread over the course of the day?"
A: it's normally 2 hours straight in the evening; or perhaps two 1 hour sessions with a quick tea break in between.

"You don't mention a rough idea of your age."
A: I'm 36; no previous problems with bones/joints, other than a dodgy knee from hiking...

"In the meantime, if you use the little (5th ?) finger less and see what happens, it should give you some ideas."
^ I've trued playing without using my pinky and the other fingers are able to cope with it fine (i.e. no pain).

"How tight are you gripping the neck ?"
A: hard to say... but probably too tight, as I'm still trying to work on speed and coordination.

"Do you have a tutor or and experienced someone that can watch you play?"
A: no tutor at present, but I'm thinking of taking lessons soon.