Why become a member? ×

Can anyone recommend a decent rack compressor for around £100?

StevieD_FenderP2009

Hey

I'm after a new compressor to go with my rack gear but I only want it as a temporary one as I'm saving up to buy a DBX 160VU compressor (the old 70's one)
Thing is, I do need it to have a noise gate built in to it and I need it to be around £100. This may be a bit of a big ask but yeah, I am getting quite desperate for one.
I've had a Samson SCom Stereo Compressor/Gate which I sold on so I don't want another one of those. Actually, the noise gate isn't all that important but it would be nice if it had one built in. I'm currently only using a 4u rack case too so i'd prefer it to be 1u (as my head is 2u and my tuner is 1u) but if it's any bigger i'll just have to get the new case now.

Cheers
Stevie

A pedal that will be of interest is the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics. It has 4 compressors and two noisegates and you can pick 'em up for about 100 quid. I have one and it's brilliant! Also love the Multicomp.

Hi guys, thanks for the recommendations of the pedals, but the problem with me is if i get one pedal, it'll lead to 2, to 3, to 4 and so on and i don't want to go using pedals as I prefer my rack setup. I may have got one sorted as long as i can get the money together (and a bigger rack case) but other recommendations are still welcome :)

I understand your pain... that's why i sugested keeping the comp stored in the 1U rack space available instead of a nice and shiny pedalboard... a nearly empty pedalboard... with lots of space to store new sounds... it, it wouldn't even weight too much! It's just one more pedal and it's so small and light! Surely one more won't make a diference...

GAS!

Ghost_Bass... STOP IT! You're doing weird things to me! I'm starting to want the array of pedals I wanted a few years back... MUST... RESIST... PEDALBOARD... LOOKS... SO... NICE...
I really would end up totally disregarding my rack setup so I could buy loadsa pedals which isn't a good thing because I have now got an EXACT rack setup that I want to get. Admittedly, not getting it all yet but who goes spending 1.2k on stuff in one go when they haven't got a job right now.

TheAceOfBass... I've heard they're pretty good so i'll keep my eye on one, cheers for the post :)

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1084977' date='Jan 10 2011, 10:49 PM']Hi guys, thanks for the recommendations of the pedals, but the problem with me is if i get one pedal, it'll lead to 2, to 3, to 4 and so on and i don't want to go using pedals as I prefer my rack setup. I may have got one sorted as long as i can get the money together (and a bigger rack case) but other recommendations are still welcome :)[/quote]

In that case, the TC C300 is the equivalent to the pedal with more features. I've recommended it on other compressor threads before with more details.

Will this be of any use to you?:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOE-MEEK-JOEMEEK-VC6-MEEKBOX-PREAMP-COMPRESSOR-1U-RACK-/130473814529?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item1e60d86a01"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOE-MEEK-JOEMEEK-VC6...=item1e60d86a01[/url]
or this?:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSS-RCL-10-COMPRESSOR-LIMTER-NOISE-GATE-RACK-JAPAN-/270681556855?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item3f05e0c777"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSS-RCL-10-COMPRESS...=item3f05e0c777[/url]

Cheers