Why become a member? ×

MADAMP Bass preamp

dan670844

www.madamp.biz

BP1Mk1 Kit
The BP1Mk1 is a pure tube bass preamp in a 19" enclosure with the following features:
classic pure tube design with a wide range of sounds
Switchable input sensitivity, from clean to crunch with gain and volume control
active three band EQ with switchable bass and treble boost
Mute switch and output for tuner (active, when preamp is muted)
Kit with 19" enclosure (completely drilled and printed, tubes, and all electronical and mechanical parts
Additional parts like Knobs are available

This is the inside view of the amp, all parts besides the knobs are included in the kit.

Soundsamples

Samples coming soon

Anyone made one of these preamps? looks like a Alembic/Trace ellliot preamp twin ECC83 with active 3 band EQ in a 1U rack looks really cool and an easy solder.

I think I could do a better of job of helicoiling the wires though!!!!

Cheers

D

I haven't built the bass preamp, but I have built one of their G2 kits (a 2-watt guitar head). I thought the kit and instructions were well thought out, as it went together without too much difficulty. It sounded great, too.
I was tempted by the bass preamp, though I suspect you could put together something similar for less than the cost of the kit (though maybe not - rack cases are surprisingly costly).

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1077755' date='Jan 4 2011, 07:46 PM']I haven't built the bass preamp, but I have built one of their G2 kits (a 2-watt guitar head). I thought the kit and instructions were well thought out, as it went together without too much difficulty. It sounded great, too.
I was tempted by the bass preamp, though I suspect you could put together something similar for less than the cost of the kit (though maybe not - rack cases are surprisingly costly).[/quote]

I was also thinking of the G2 as a first go, but the sound clips don't sound so could it put me off! it sounds very middly even for a guitar amp but maybe it was badly recorded, whats the power tube a ECC82?

[quote name='dan670844' post='1077811' date='Jan 4 2011, 08:21 PM']I was also thinking of the G2 as a first go, but the sound clips don't sound so could it put me off! it sounds very middly even for a guitar amp but maybe it was badly recorded, whats the power tube a ECC82?[/quote]
The valves in the G2 are 6n1p and 6n2p - obscure Russian surplus valves! I didn't find it excessively middly - I can get a good crunchy marshall-ish guitar sound out of it, though it was a bit squashy sounding for bass, which is hardly surprising. The type of tone control it uses doesn't scoop the mids like some do, so that may be what you're hearing. Though if I was starting afresh looking for a tiny valve amp, I'd probably use one of the [url="http://www.ampmaker.com/wf-55-4w-tweed-style-amp-830-0.html"]Ampmaker[/url] kits, as their turret board layout looks much neater than the G2's point-to point style.

[quote name='dan670844' post='1077674' date='Jan 4 2011, 06:56 PM']www.madamp.biz

BP1Mk1 Kit
The BP1Mk1 is a pure tube bass preamp in a 19" enclosure with the following features:
classic pure tube design with a wide range of sounds
Switchable input sensitivity, from clean to crunch with gain and volume control
active three band EQ with switchable bass and treble boost
Mute switch and output for tuner (active, when preamp is muted)
Kit with 19" enclosure (completely drilled and printed, tubes, and all electronical and mechanical parts
Additional parts like Knobs are available

This is the inside view of the amp, all parts besides the knobs are included in the kit.

Soundsamples

Samples coming soon

Anyone made one of these preamps? looks like a Alembic/Trace ellliot preamp twin ECC83 with active 3 band EQ in a 1U rack looks really cool and an easy solder.

I think I could do a better of job of helicoiling the wires though!!!!

Cheers

D[/quote]

suprised it's actually active! Not the best implementation of it though. Could really do with being driven by a cathode follower and not having the gain infront of it, kinda negates the tonestack.

nice to see something different though

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1077858' date='Jan 4 2011, 08:46 PM']The valves in the G2 are 6n1p and 6n2p - obscure Russian surplus valves! I didn't find it excessively middly - I can get a good crunchy marshall-ish guitar sound out of it, though it was a bit squashy sounding for bass, which is hardly surprising. The type of tone control it uses doesn't scoop the mids like some do, so that may be what you're hearing. Though if I was starting afresh looking for a tiny valve amp, I'd probably use one of the [url="http://www.ampmaker.com/wf-55-4w-tweed-style-amp-830-0.html"]Ampmaker[/url] kits, as their turret board layout looks much neater than the G2's point-to point style.[/quote]

Yes the Ampmaker kits are very good, very easy to make a good job of them. A friend made the PP18 into a head and it really does sound good like a mini jtm45, I was a bit sceptical at first as when i see El84's i always think vox chime but these are super smooth, great for blues. We are going to have a go at the Fender deluxe one, when we get a minute.

I am trying to get Barry to do a mini bass amp kit for recording, something like 15-25 watts with a B15 tone stack, maybe 4 6V6's with a lower plate voltage, these are great for bass, this is the valve Ashdown should have used in the little B, we should all get on at him............

[quote name='umph' post='1077920' date='Jan 4 2011, 09:28 PM']suprised it's actually active! Not the best implementation of it though. Could really do with being driven by a cathode follower and not having the gain infront of it, kinda negates the tonestack.

nice to see something different though[/quote]

Be interesting to see how it sounds.............. interesting using a torriod tranny too, I hope it's not just because it fits in 1 U rack!! and valves on their side always makes me squeal!

[quote name='dan670844' post='1078066' date='Jan 4 2011, 11:01 PM']Be interesting to see how it sounds.............. interesting using a torriod tranny too, I hope it's not just because it fits in 1 U rack!! and valves on their side always makes me squeal![/quote]

toroids are lower noise so better than your average tranny when it comes to power supply. Most valves really don't mind which way you put them obviously you need to allow for the heat given off though.