Why become a member? ×

NS NXT vs Aria SWB Lite

oldslapper

I'm after an EUB to use as a back up to my ADB.
I think I've narrowed it down to the above 2 for my budget (circa £700). I've been offered an as new SWB, with hard case for a good price.

I would consider another Bassix, but not sure if budget would cover one.

Anyone give me some comparisons, or your experiences of either please,

Many thanks,

Happy New Year
John

Is the NS NXT pretty much the same as the Wav?

I've played both the Wav and the SWB Lite and of the two I definitely preferred (and bought) the Aria.

The Wav was well built and sounded good but the neck felt a bit too flat to me. I also didn't like the marker dots on the fingerboard - they were more confusing to me than an aide to intonation. Finally, I didn't like playing it on a stand. I know you can buy a body brace/endpin stand type thing but it added quite a lot to the price.

The Aria was also well constructed and felt more DB-esque to me, probably due to the standard endpin/body brace and a much deeper neck and rounder fingerboard. This felt much more comfortable & natural to play and I warmed to the Aria immediately, wheras I never really felt any connection to the Wav.

I didn't get to try both back to back but after I bought the Aria I did get to play a Wav on a couple of occasions at jam nights. Straight out of the box, I would say that the Wav had the better sound but the Aria was vastly improved by replacing the stock strings with a set of Helicore Hybrids.

I think it's really all down to feel and personal preference when choosing between these two. I like to feel the notes vibrate and be able to move the bass around, so a bass on a stand was never going do it for me. I would suspect that if you're looking for a backup to your acoustic bass, you'll find the Aria more familiar than the Wav/NXT.

Dave

Many thanks Dave.

I like to move a little when playing, and find myself swaying a bit when not singing, so I reckon you may be right about the NS on a stand being a bit restrictive.
I'm trying out an NXT tomorrow, so will see whether the feel and sound compensate.

John