Why become a member? ×

Renthouse Groove in the Studio!

wotnwhy

My band Renthouse Groove went into the studio on the weekend to lay down a couple of old songs and a new one for a decent new demo.

the week before i'd put some steel roundwounds on my bass, for a bit of a change to the usual flatwounds. and although this was lovely for solo stuff. it just wasn't getting the sound i wanted for the band.

the studio we used was one we recorded in around 5 years ago. and the guy there has a lovely all original '78 Jazz with a maple block and bound neck. and it's still the only Fender i've ever played that felt really good (others have felt nice, but never enough for me to go 'wow'), it was also the inspiriation for me getting blocks on my Shuker :)
so i suggest breaking that out, and you know what? it sounded just as good as it felt/looked! so this is what i ended up using for the songs!

so after 4 years being for the most part completely GAS free, i now crave the one thing i though i never would... a Fender! though there is a silver lining, in that i've played many, many Fenders. and this is so far the only one i've liked. so it's not a 'general' Fender GAS. phew!

a couple of shot of me playing our new track Trip To Nowhere

me? a poser?? never! :huh:

The tracks should be finished in the next couple of weeks. and i'll be shure to share them with you all!

• 1 month later...

ha ha! didn't think anybody had bothered with this thread, forgot about it TBH.

the tracks are up on our Myspace page; [url="http://www.myspace.com/renthousegroove"]http://www.myspace.com/renthousegroove[/url]

the tracks Soul Testify, Kissing My Love and A Few Dollars More are recorded with the Fender. enjoy :)

• 3 weeks later...

What an awesome band! Great sounds, great arrangements. V.Funky! But very cool in that it leaves out the superfluous cheese funk. And beautifully played basslines, who are your influences?

If I'm brutally honest, the bass didn't sound beefy and sweet enough for me, but I'm a Precision man. I liked it being passive, though.

Oooh, 'though the tone is lovely on the reggae-ish bridge part of Afew Dollars More.

*chair dances*

cheers for the kind words :)

[quote]And beautifully played basslines, who are your influences?[/quote]

thats a tough one. i don't really approach my playing that way. sure there are bass players i like, but it doesn't relate to my playing. i don't connect the two, i just sort of 'play', with as little literal thinking as possible.

sorry if thats dodging the question! lol