Why become a member? ×

New gear for an old geezer

kingbee

[quote name='kingbee' post='1077054' date='Jan 4 2011, 09:33 AM']How do you mean, Mike? Is it simply that by buying from Barefaced direct (only way) you don't have the 'luxury' of trying out different rigs in a normal shop / studio environment?[/quote]

Precisely, Bob, and that's all I meant. I have a good relationship with one of my nearby music shops, the very excellent Harmony Music in Dorchester, who are more than happy to let one play for hours in their back room. In fact it's hard to walk through the door these days without someone suggesting something new and interesting I really ought to try. That's how I acquired the totally yummy '70RI P-Bass in my avatar!

It always scares me, buying things that make noise sight unseen - though I have to admit I bought a couple of amps on eBay that turned out just fine...

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='chris_b' post='1077068' date='Jan 4 2011, 10:00 AM']I'd also look at Markbass amps. They work well with Barefaced cabs and can give you a very "old school" sound, and they're light.[/quote]

Funny you should say that... I was just looking at the Markbass site last night. I see they've discontinued the Little Mark II, which is a bit of a bummer. Thomann still list them though, at a decent price.

Thanks!

Mike

[quote name='kingbee' post='1076780' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:09 PM']As for driving it, I've only begun to realise how under-powered my Hartke 200w amp is, but Alex says it'll be fine for the Compact. I have asked him, however, to advise me on the most compatible amp for the Compact in case I want to change my Hartke at a later date, and I'm awaiting his reply. Will let you know. Feel free to PM me if you have ano other questions.

Cheers. Bob[/quote]

I know that Alex has spoken highly of the Hartke LH500 and LH1000 in the past - so you may not even have to change manufacturer! To be fair though, if he suggests that your current amp will do the job he is probably correct. He certainly knows his stuff.

[quote name='kingbee' post='1071469' date='Dec 29 2010, 09:07 AM']Hello everyone, just joined this forum - which looks excellent - and will cut to the chase. Sincere apologies if this topic has ben covered elsewhere - happy to be referred to other threads.

For some years now I've been using a Hartke Model 2000 Transient Attack 200w head with an Ampeg SVT-115E Classic cab, and have always been delighted with the sound. However, I ain't getting any younger (62 in March) and recently tore a shoulder muscle which makes lugging the Ampeg (72lbs weight) more and more difficult, especially when lifting into the boot of the car.

Ergo, I'm looking for something lightweight. I've never liked combos. I don't do much by way of keeping up to date with developments in bass amplification technology, but I wonder if the new Neodynium speakers might do the trick? Ideally, depending on weight, I'd want a single 15 but am open to suggestions from those who think 12s or 10s could be the way to go. I've been looking at Ashdown cabs, for example, the ABM 115 which, at some 47lbs, could be the answer - any good?

As for my current head, it's still perfectly serviceable but it's now - dare I say it - getting on for 15 years of age. A great recommendation for Hartke, but heads don't go on for ever so might look to change this also. Incidentally, now need something with a Line Out which, bizarrely, is not available on the Hartke.

Whatever package I get, it has to be able to deliver in a wide range of venues (as my present package has easily done), from small venues to hotel ballrooms. My bass playing style is 'standard' (eg, no fancy slaps) and I don't need loads of brightness, more interested in a controlled bottom end.

Within reason, prepared to spend on quality kit, with absolute reliability being the main criterion.

All suggestions and advice gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.[/quote]

Check out the Nexus 15 from Laney its very light and sounds great as its loaded with celestian green labels which a defo the best neo stuff around very warm and controlled, if you want more attack you can always fit in the orange label versions, brill considereding how cheap they are and made in UK which is always good, but get a cover for them as the tolex is not that hard wearing or have a look at a hydrive cab from Hartke not my cup of tea but they are light.
Heads? Hartke good sounds for not much beans

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1071486' date='Dec 29 2010, 04:40 AM']From what you're saying in the OP I would look at Markbass gear. I think it would cover your tone requirements perfectly when using a 15" cab. Light weight too![/quote]

+1. try the F1, if you can find a used one. 4.5 lbs and a really good punchy head. I sometimes use one to power a 215 and I'm always surprised how much kick it's got.

For a variety of reasons have decided it's time to go with a clean sheet, so have put up the Hartke for sale along with the Ampeg cab. There's an LH500 up for sale at the moment but the seller isn't replying to my PMs. I'd happily put that with Alex's Barefaced Compact but, of course, need to shift my own rig before I can buy other stuff - not down to money so much as sheer lack of space! Missus'll have a hairy fit if I bring anything else through the door without jettisoning something else .....