Why become a member? ×

Are Marleaux's six strings stupidly light too??

Schnozzalee

I've just come into possession of a pearwood/sutkina bodied Marleaux consat custom 5 and its 7.7lbs (by the bathroom scales!). I don't even notice its there, i haven't had this much comfort playability-wise since I owned a Kubicki!! 6 strings have been a write off for me after my experience of a solid thru neck maple Cort A6, I also injured my back in a tyre factory a while back making it difficult for me to play anything heavy. I enjoyed playing a six and liked the C string for chords even if I did use it rarely, ultimate versatility is my goal! Does anyone own a Marleaux Consat Custom 6 on BC? What does it weigh??

I can't vouch for the Marleaux, but get the right builder and the right wood and a light 6 string is all good.

I only play 6's now really and weight has been a big factor in finding the right bass. My Roscoe Fretless 6 is 9.1lbs and my RIM Marseer 6 is 8.6lbs.

Both very light for 35" scale pro instruments (both lighter than an average Fender jazz 4). When Robbie built the RIM I had the option of having it chambered as well which would of made it even lighter!!

Since I've been using a Comfort Strapp as well all basses feel about 1lb lighter than they really are!

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1067317' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:58 PM']I can't vouch for the Marleaux, but get the right builder and the right wood and a light 6 string is all good.

I only play 6's now really and weight has been a big factor in finding the right bass. My Roscoe Fretless 6 is 9.1lbs and my RIM Marseer 6 is 8.6lbs.

Both very light for 35" scale pro instruments (both lighter than an average Fender jazz 4). When Robbie built the RIM I had the option of having it chambered as well which would of made it even lighter!!

Since I've been using a Comfort Strapp as well all basses feel about 1lb lighter than they really are!

Shep[/quote]

Thanks Shep! Someone recommended Roscoe to me recently, I'm not so keen on the shape but they have a spec that suits me well. I'll have to look up RIM I've never heard of those!! Does chambering bring up balance issues? I've gotta get me one of those comfort Strapp's just got to work out the length I need lol

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1067322' date='Dec 22 2010, 11:06 PM']Thanks Shep! Someone recommended Roscoe to me recently, I'm not so keen on the shape but they have a spec that suits me well. I'll have to look up RIM I've never heard of those!! Does chambering bring up balance issues? I've gotta get me one of those comfort Strapp's just got to work out the length I need lol[/quote]

Roscoes are stunning. The fretless Roscoes are the best fretless basses I have tried. The shapes arn't all great, but I quite like the Century series (which I have).

Chambering only casues issues on balance if the builder doesn't select the neck woods etc to counter act... any Luthier worth his salt will adust wood chices and strap pin position to make it work. Chambering doesn't always save loads of weight, some basses I've felt only save a small amount, maybe 0.2lbs, but it depends on how its done. mcgrahams Wood & Tronics is chambered and it weighs about 6.5lbs or something silly, so it obviously depends on how its done.

RIM/Robbie McDade - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9653"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9653[/url] or [url="http://www.rimcustombasses.co.uk/"]http://www.rimcustombasses.co.uk/[/url] - Link in my Sig to my RIM Marseer 6. The weight is saved as the body is quite small compared to a regular Jazz size bass.

As for the Comfort Strapp, I have the Short one, which I bought as my RIM has high strap pins. It's fine, but I'd prefer it to be an inch or so longer, as such I'm prob going to get the longer one. The Short one really is for guys that wear the bass high (up over your boobs, like Victor Wooten), if thats you, let me know and I'll sell you mine a few quid cheaper than a new one and I'll buy the long. If you dont wear it up real high then go for Long!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1067861' date='Dec 23 2010, 03:38 PM']Roscoes are stunning. The fretless Roscoes are the best fretless basses I have tried. The shapes arn't all great, but I quite like the Century series (which I have).[/quote]

I had a Roscoe 5 string a few years ago. It was a fretted, but had the most perfect fretless sound of any bass I've played. It had a beautiful kind of burpy growl, that didn't actually work too well as a fretted bass.