Why become a member? ×

Buying Ebony for a Fingerboard

apa

So Im thinking of making a replacement Fingerboard. Question is, Should I buy specific Blank Ebony Board form a Luther supplies because its specificaly selected for that use or can I trot over to my local exotic wood suppliers and pic up a suitable piece at much less cost?? Or do I need a piece with built in mojo?? Im going to machine out the shape radii etc myself so it just needs to be a lump of wood!!

A

Edited by apa

If you go to a luthier supplier you can specify how dark, brown, cream, streaky, wavy or dead black a board you want.
An ebony fingerboard blank isn't actually that expensive if you're building one instrument and yes, I'd go to a luthier supplier because you generally pay for wood by volume (even for smallish bits) and you'd probably have to buy a larger chunk from a timber supplier, consequently paying for more wood you won't use. Tonewoods are usually dried and stored with instrument making in mind and are graded on quality (tightness & straightness of grain, figure or lack of, density etc.), none of which you're likely to find from a wood yard unless they're very very good indeed, and there ain't many very very good wood yards around :)

Or to put it another way if you can't justify 20 quid for a decent ebony board you're going to have bigger problems bringing the rest of the bass up to the lofty standards of your pro quality ebony board!

[quote name='henry norton' post='1063930' date='Dec 19 2010, 07:59 PM']If you go to a luthier supplier you can specify how dark, brown, cream, streaky, wavy or dead black a board you want.
An ebony fingerboard blank isn't actually that expensive if you're building one instrument and yes, I'd go to a luthier supplier because you generally pay for wood by volume (even for smallish bits) and you'd probably have to buy a larger chunk from a timber supplier, consequently paying for more wood you won't use. Tonewoods are usually dried and stored with instrument making in mind and are graded on quality (tightness & straightness of grain, figure or lack of, density etc.), none of which you're likely to find from a wood yard unless they're very very good indeed, and there ain't many very very good wood yards around :)

Or to put it another way if you can't justify 20 quid for a decent ebony board you're going to have bigger problems bringing the rest of the bass up to the lofty standards of your pro quality ebony board![/quote]

Perfect and very true lol. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks Henry Yep the blanks arent expencive even when you add postage. Was just wondering since Im off to a quit good wood suppliers soon anyway so could look around. Im asking on this element since its a critical part and not just esthetics. Ill have a looky on the net. Anyone recommend a good one?

A

[quote name='apa' post='1063980' date='Dec 19 2010, 09:53 PM']Perfect and very true lol. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks Henry Yep the blanks arent expencive even when you add postage. Was just wondering since Im off to a quit good wood suppliers soon anyway so could look around. Im asking on this element since its a critical part and not just esthetics. Ill have a looky on the net. Anyone recommend a good one?

A[/quote]

[url="http://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/"]Touchstone Tonewoods[/url]

[url="http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/"]David Dyke (Luthier Supplies)[/url]

Both do postage and give a very personal, helpful service, so you can't go far wrong with them.