Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz v's Musicman Sterling

retroman

I'm sure you guys can answer this one for me :)

I know that the Sterling is supposed to have a much skinnier neck profile than the Stingray, but have often wondered how the neck of a Sterling compares to a Fender Jazz??

I love the skinny neck of the Jazz, and really enjoyed the Musicman thing when I had a Stingray, but the chunky neck of the 'ray used to give my left wrist some grief.

Would a Sterling give me the best of both worlds??? What are Sterlings like weight wise??

Thanks in advance,
Rich :)

The neck of my Sterling is only slightly wider than a Jazz neck. Very nice to play.

From their site:

Neck Width: 1-1/2" (38.1 mm) at nut, 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret
Weight: 9 lbs (4.08 kg) - varies slightly

[url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/sterling.html"]http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/sterling.html[/url]

The sterling neck is deeper than most Jazz necks and has a different finish. It feels very different. The two basses have very different characters inasmuch as it's a a passive JJ set up vs an active eq single MM pickup. The Sterling is very much a plug and play instrument, it cuts through the mix, is comfy and compact, has a great gurgly punch to it whereas the Jazz has a wider tonal pallette, is more versatile and larger. I love my Sterling but I've also loved quite a few Jazz basses especially ones with a P/J config.