Why become a member? ×

Splitting singal and using guitar amp and cab for second channel.

D-L-B

The title gives it away really. Since I have money to burn I've been entertaining the idea of splitting my signal and running a second channel through guitar gear. I know I'll need to use some sort of crossover to avoid bladdering the speakers if using a guitar cab and I know it'll never sound exactly like a guitar so I don't need reminding of these things. However, I am interested in people's experiences and opinions regarding this kind of set up.
I play in an instrumental three piece and, whilst we certainly don't feel our sound needs filling out in anyway, I am interested in acquiring more gear just for making some more noise with :lol: and also to give the guitarist a bit more freedom to explore his gear and indulge in some noise mongering should he wish.
The idea would be to use it as a rhythm/thickener during guitar solos, second channel for wacky noises and loops, cleaner way of adding certain drive tones when needed whilst never disturbing the original bass tone (and also for posing purposes by having a massive live rig :) ).
I have some useful pedals which could also find their way onto a separate loop for this purpose i.e. Boss HR-2, PS-3, Digitech EX-7.
Any suggestions how you personally would go about this, gear you'd use, pros and cons etc, welcomed.

Discuss... :)

Using a guitar head with a natural low roll off (Marshalls do) is probably enough, but eqing down the lows will help (and also avoid the combing effect). Guita amp into bass cab tends to not sound right as a bunch of the colour of a guitar amp is from the speakers, vintage bass cabs are more guitary, but that is because they use guitar drivers so aren't really tougher. Once you've eqed out the lows a 2x12 is probably going to be enough if you get it high and pointing at you.