Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yamaha Bb424 or 714BS

Jamesemt

I've never had a chance to play the 714BS, but the BB424's are pretty sweet! I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with either one. I did notice that the pickups of the BS are reversed and much closer to the neck, so I would imagine that the BS is more boomy like you mentioned and will probably give you a little less punch than the BB424.

Also, in general, manufacturers will do a little better job leveling the frets and setting up signature models as opposed to regular models like the BB424.

I've played them head to head,

If you want that P and J sound the 424 is perfect, the 424 is a VERY versitile bass, over all great

the BB714BS is more "warm" in a fat Gibson EB0 kinda way, and yes boomier, The BB714 is a bit more like the older BB (the 414)

The neck etc is the same i "think"

and the Humbucker and the P pickup are quite chunky ( as in size) and leave little room for slap and pop if thats what your into, as the pickups are rounded not square, and the BS didn't appreicate a pick either but the 424 sounded MONSTER, reall nice grit duff mckagen, then with a bit of (easy) adjustment got a very smooth warm funkier sound though the 424 sounds a little 'hollow' to my ears, it lacks something BUT to others that qaulity is what they are after, which is why my friend bought one when i was demoing it! well just after, he plays Indie rock, jazz funk, some harder rock, he used to be a J bass man

The 714 doesn't sound like an Attitude, but it does that Mr Big old days (Think Lean into it, Daddy brother lover little boy etc) sound real well! (I'm a HUGE Mr Big fan haha) and its really just that sound which you can tweak,

The 424 has through body stringing as well which with the approx £100-£150 lower price tag would win it for me,

If i had the money i would get the 714 personally i love the BB neck, love the tone, love bladed neck pickups! and the Lava red colour is killer xD

Hope that helps?

Thats more on trhe 714 than anything but i'm a bit of a sheehan nut =S

Wow thanks for that.

Think I'm leaning more towards the 424. My only reservation is how it's going to feel after my Dingwall. I play an SX at work, the days I pick the Dingwall up it feels like a Rolls Royce compared to the SX!

Is the 424 going to feel 4x cheaper than the Dingwall?

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1046898' date='Dec 3 2010, 10:23 PM']Wow thanks for that.

Think I'm leaning more towards the 424. My only reservation is how it's going to feel after my Dingwall. I play an SX at work, the days I pick the Dingwall up it feels like a Rolls Royce compared to the SX!

Is the 424 going to feel 4x cheaper than the Dingwall?[/quote]

I find all yamahas feel qaulity no matter the cost,

I was having my Attitude re-strung while i tested out basses and amps for fun, and i went from an RBX 375, to a BB414 to a 424 to a TRB to my attitude and got the
same great quality feel, though personally a bass always feel "expenisve" to me when i know it is!

They all feel quality and 'playable' as it its waiting to be played and do its thing y'know?

Sure you would probably notice it 'feels cheaper' but i would certainly say it won't feel 4x worse! Its like a dirty secret :) haha

Haha as you see i am a BIT of a Yamaha lover, and Ibanez

I also played three fenders american standard and an Ibanez SR prestige and it felt right amongst them, though you could tell a difference, but to be fair, the price of the Sr5005 and the BB424 is leagues apart but in feel they felt great from one to the other,

though that 3x price or so had that little 'edge'

But i'm not a fussy man and i love Yammi's so i'm not the best person to ask its more an each to their own thing right? :)

Hope i've helped!