Why become a member? ×

Pedal board Issues

LeftyBiskit

Evening all!
I've just got in from our weekly praccy-
And I gave my new pedal board It's first run out.
When I plugged it in and powered up there was a high pitched hiss coming through the amp not a lot of noise but enough to annoy-all pedals where in bypass mode.
the chain went something like this Guitar --Boss Limiter--Boss Chorus--Boss ODB--EHX Big muff--Digitech Bass Synth Wah--MXR Octaver--MXR Carbon Copy--Hartke HA2500.
They are all powered by a 9v 1300ma Psu -ve tip, except for the EHX Big Muff-Battery for now.
Now this set up worked fine at home on the practise rig,Obviously the volumes where greatly reduced,
A couple things I noticed was that if i turned up the enhance knob on the limiter-the noise increased- I had the knob at 12 o clock,
using the limiter on it's own out of the chain was fine.
The ODB on the other hand-If you turned up the treble boost knob past 10-o-clock the hiss increased even with the gain turned down to 9-o-clock,even if the pedal was used out of the chain and powered independantly-I've only had the pedal 4weeks from new.
After removing the ODB From the chain at rehearsal I still had to turn down the Enhance knob on the Limiter to reduce the hiss.
All suggestions welcome. :)

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' post='1044553' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:56 AM']All suggestions welcome. :)[/quote]

Ok :)
Couple of suggestions based on a hiss problem that I had a while back:-

1) I ran all my power cables to the top of the board and kept all the signal cables towards the bottom.
2) I shortened all my signal cables to fit exactly.
3) The "bypass" on a lot of pedals isn't always a true bypass - I use a little A/B switch box to isolate pedals that aren't in use or don't get used together at any point.
4) I velcro tied the cables together to make a neat "bundle" so they can't move about.

That did the trick for me and at the very worst, you'll end up with a very tidy pedal board... :lol:

You could also try running all of the pedals on battery and removing the PSU from the equation in case the noise is coming from there (although it's usually a hum rather than a hiss).

Funny you should mention the psu,
I was trying a few options today and decided to isolate each stomp box from the power source and discovered that the noise from the ODB disappeared when I powered it from a separate source, coupling that with removing the limiter from the chain altogether eliminated the noise altogether.
It appears that the Boss pedals are more sensitive to dodgy supplies than the rest of my pedals some of which are more expensive ie the 2 MXR's
Result.... :)

[quote name='[email protected]' post='1045708' date='Dec 2 2010, 09:45 PM']All suggestions welcome. :)

The power supply. that's what's causing your noise issues and it's relation to your noisy pedals i.e ODB/big muff.
Get a better power supply or power brick and power pedals from the same source.[/quote]

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' post='1045829' date='Dec 2 2010, 11:31 PM']Funny you should mention the psu,
I was trying a few options today and decided to isolate each stomp box from the power source and discovered that the noise from the ODB disappeared when I powered it from a separate source, coupling that with removing the limiter from the chain altogether eliminated the noise altogether.
It appears that the Boss pedals are more sensitive to dodgy supplies than the rest of my pedals some of which are more expensive ie the 2 MXR's
Result.... :)[/quote]

Oh and thank's for the help guy's