Why become a member? ×

Modifying my Fender Jazz Deluxe

civictiger

Hey guys

I have a Fender Jazz Deluxe American, it was was of the 2001 factory runs with a candy tangerine finish to it

its one of the two basses I own, and its my professional bass, and always will be my little baby!

now I am really after a Graphtech MIDI interface, and im having a hard time deciding wether to install it into my Fender or my Yamaha RBX A2.

either way, I will need to cut into the body of one of the basses to install this MIDI system, and im just wondering if I was to use the Fender as the project for this and cut into the body, will it change the tone that much? like the natural sound of the bass from the wood..
also if I use the Fender I will be buying their Jazz Saddles, will this also change the sound of the bass?

all in all I will be needing to make a hole in the back of the body, to install a MIDI interface, and then the side next to the jack input to install a MIDI-out.

any replies would be a great help

Are you planning on using the signal from the normal pups at the same time as the midi pup? If not, get a cheap bass to put it on. You'll lose a lot of value on your bass by doing the modifications you're talking about.

If you're sure you never want to get rid of the jazz, don't mind taking the hit or want to use both signals at once, losing a bit of wood shouldn't affect the sound too much. Changing the saddles too will affect the sound a little. It should still sound roughly the same though. The loss of value would be a far bigger factor if I was making the choice than the affect on the tone.

Interesting points..

I will be using both pick-ups, yes, so a clean tone and a MIDI tone
And I will be keeping this bass til the death of me, it has a bit of sentimental value to myself.
Clean tone for two of my projects
Clean+MIDI for another project

I guess I'll use my yamaha, I'll see if I can build up some love for it - it just feels so strange to play as om so used to my fender now!
Maybe I'll get a cheap copy or something.. I'll see how my money pans out!

[quote name='civictiger' post='1044571' date='Dec 1 2010, 08:51 PM']Interesting points..

I will be using both pick-ups, yes, so a clean tone and a MIDI tone
And I will be keeping this bass til the death of me, it has a bit of sentimental value to myself.
Clean tone for two of my projects
Clean+MIDI for another project

I guess I'll use my yamaha, I'll see if I can build up some love for it - it just feels so strange to play as om so used to my fender now!
Maybe I'll get a cheap copy or something.. I'll see how my money pans out![/quote]

You could get a cheep junker, play it a while. Then cut into it and install the MIDI jig, note the difference. Evaluate, "To cut, or not to cut".
Also Squire makes some pretty good stuff if you've a mind to do something like add a MIDI triggering system. If you don't like the 'Squire' thing, rub off the decal on the headstock and replace it with a nice girlie pin-up water-slide decal!

Will cutting the body change the tone? If you expect to hear a difference you will. No difference will be detectable in a proper double blind test. Look at the bright side, it may make it sound better :)

You could also just get another cheap body for the Jazz and save the collectors value. If you later find out you love the midi thing cut into the original Fender body and enjoy it.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1045893' date='Dec 2 2010, 08:22 PM']Will cutting the body change the tone? If you expect to hear a difference you will. No difference will be detectable in a proper double blind test. Look at the bright side, it may make it sound better :)

You could also just get another cheap body for the Jazz and save the collectors value. If you later find out you love the midi thing cut into the original Fender body and enjoy it.[/quote]

+1 again here.