Why become a member? ×

Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special (MIM)

danhkr

I've always preferred p-basses, but love the jazz bass playability and tones. This deluxe p-bass has a jazz neck and bridge pickup. It's also got active circuitry. Has anyone had/tried one of these? Any opinions?? Thanks :)

[url="http://www.fender.com/uk/products/search.php?partno=0135760359"]Fender Deluxe Acitve P Bass Special[/url]

I played the P, but bought the Jazz because I prefer the shape, but both are great basses, well made, US electronics, definitely a step up from the quality of the MIM Standards. The pre-amp isn't great, I'm eventally going to swap mine out for a J-Retro, and the bridge had a nasty rattle, but that's normal for the Fender bridge so I swapped it out for a Bad Ass II. I think they've gone up in price recently but second hand ones usually show up for around £350.

Edited by RussFM

[quote name='RussFM' post='1042223' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:30 PM']I played the P, but bought the Jazz because I prefer the shape, but both are great basses, well made, US electronics, definitely a step up from the quality of the MIM Standards. [u][b]The pre-amp isn't great,[/b][/u] I'm eventally going to swap mine out for a J-Retro, and the bridge had a nasty rattle, but that's normal for the Fender bridge so I swapped it out for a Bad Ass II. I think they've gone up in price recently but second hand ones usually show up for around £350.[/quote]

In what way is it lacking?

I sounds great with the tone controls centred, so I do all my EQing on the amp, but increasing the mid control makes it sound harsh, and decreasing it makes it sound really thin and useless as a bass tone. Bass and treble controls are fine when used subtly with the mid centred, but not as much useful variation as I'd expect from an active bass.