Why become a member? ×

Flightcase options for my head

Finbar

Okay, I've pretty much ended up with a few awesome basses, a neato and versatile pedalboard, a nice cab and a nice head. I'm actually fairly happy with things as far as my rig goes at the moment! But I'm planning to hit the road hard with it, and the implications of that are that the stuff needs protecting. The basses have hardcases, the pedals have a flightcase, but I'm left with my amp completely naked! I have a soft cover for the head, but nothing more currently.

I've just measured up my cab so I can get a nice soft cover from Roqsolid, but I really want to get the head properly flightcased. It's a Matamp GT200, so I think it deserves a nice case? Anyway, I'm kind of torn between the 'live-in' style case with the removable front and back, and the 'lift-off' style case where the top of the case lifts off and the head just sits in a tray. With it being an amp with a top vent, I know the lift off lid would be most sensible, but I really like the live in cases, and I've seen several pictures of people using them with AD200s, and a variety of other amps like the XXX, loads of which have top vents. So is this a really bad idea? Just looking for some people with some experience of having gone down the same path.

I'd even be happy zip-tieing small fans to the back of the amp! :)

I have a lift off style case on my Bassman head. Looks very very cool but the flightcase does add serious weight to what for me was already a very heavy piece of gear. Ultimately I think the choice just comes down to taste. I wouldn't bother with my Orange head but as the Bassman was vintage gear I wanted the ultimate protection.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1041780' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:51 PM']I have a lift off style case on my Bassman head. Looks very very cool but the flightcase does add serious weight to what for me was already a very heavy piece of gear. Ultimately I think the choice just comes down to taste. I wouldn't bother with my Orange head but as the Bassman was vintage gear I wanted the ultimate protection.[/quote]

I used to have a VBA400 fully flightcased with the lift off lid, and it was heavy, but pristine :) A 2 man lift, really. So I'm prepared for the weight. Mostly just want to know if I risk really badly overheating the amp if I'm effectively blocking the top vent :/