Why become a member? ×

Bit of noise with new strings - advice please!

thisnameistaken

I've just put a new set of strings on my bass. I took off a full set of Evah mediums, put on Evah lights (D & G) and Spiro lights (E & A).

I've just got it up to pitch and had a noodle, and I'm finding there's a fairly quiet, fluffy-sounding buzz during pizz attack on the E and A in a small clutch of lower positions, and it's coming from the string at the point where the note is stopped. Most noticable on the E. Is this the string running out of room to vibrate / fingerboard getting in the way? It doesn't happen further up the neck and the open notes are fine.

If so: I have an adjustable bridge - do you think if I crank it up it will go away? Or do I need to have the fingerboard looked at?

It might've been doing this all along to be honest, I never got much sustain in those positions from my old Evahs but they were so thumpy I couldn't hear any buzz. Maybe this was why there wasn't much sustain?

Any advice much appreciated.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1038500' date='Nov 27 2010, 03:44 AM']I think you're probably right, but it's stiff to take £80 for a fingerboard fit after £135 for a set of strings. And I strung them up so tidy I don't want anybody unwinding them! :)[/quote]
Have you stretched the strings or just tightened to tune???
If you Havent do so an retune....if you have I suggest you tweak the truss rod up a 1/2 turn then try again,if better but not perfect then tighten up a further bit at a time.DONT rush it though give the neck time to settle...

Theres loads of how to tips on the net try Youtube